Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HMS Glenroy

Default HMS Glenroy

My grandad was on HMS Glenroy in 1942 and was wondering if anyone has any photos, info or anything. His name was Wilfrid Hollister and he died when i was 6 and he never spoke to family about his time in the Navy and so i have very little info.
    Thanks
    Jo

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Jo and welcome to the Forum.
    Built in 1938, the 9,809 ton HMS Glenroy hired as a store carrier by the Royal Navy on 21 October 1939, became a Landing Ship in 1942 and was returned in August 1946.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Try here https://glenroy.freeservers.com/index.html PO John Priscott served on her from 1940 to 1943, including when she was torpedoed the day after HMS Barham was hit in November 1941.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Reputation beyond repute

was wondering if anyone has any photos
    Try a search engine and click "Images"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default my grandad

My Grandad was a sail maker on this ship, thats about as much as I know apart from the odd photo of him in uniform, he once told us about having to sew up bodies from the the water into body bags (sorry). Never really went into much depth, but my nan said when he returned from service he was never the same, they were from the east end he went on to work on the print

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Jo
    This week I found an old photograph album of my father who served on the Glen Roy during the war so I googled HMS Glen Roy and found this web page.
    I do not know the names of the crew, there are a few photographs of the crew and ship when it was was in Alexandria and also in Cape Town. Luckily on each page he had written the location where the photos were taken.
    There is also a picture of the ship when it was sunk at Mersa Matrua.
    My father's name was Harold Hayes.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Glen Roy

Hi forgot to add my Grandads name Harold Conlan "Harry"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

A World war II story is the compelling wartime memories of a young naval Blacksmith, carefully compiled by his daughter from Albert's handwritten notes and photographs. The book describes life on board the HMS Glenroy together with an account of when she was bombed in 1941 and how she was rebuilt.
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 09-08-2020 at 4:29 PM. Reason: Advertising commercial sites removed as per our TOC

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Try a search engine and click "Images"
    There's a facebook page and a book full of pictures. facebook {dot} com/HMSGLENROY
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 09-08-2020 at 4:31 PM. Reason: Url deactivated as per TOC

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Does anyone know what date the ship came back to Greenock in 1946 to be decommissioned? I’m doing family research. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast