sparklingsilver

Default Tranfield of Scrooby.

Can you help? I am seeking the birth/baptism record of a Matthew Tranfield (variants include Stratfield) born 1726/7. He married twice at Scrooby (1751 and 1796) and was buried at Clarborough in 1820 aged 93 - day and month unknown. Children from his first marriage were baptised at Scrooby but others have not been found in its origin records - or at least any born after 1765 or before 1753. It is known that he had another daughter, Ann, who married a William Slack; but where it took place remains a mystery. Their daughter, Sarah Slack, was baptised at Tickhill, Yorkshire, in the presence of her maternal grandfather, Matthew Tranfield. Whilst Tranfield sounds a typical English surname it is in fact rare throughout the UK; in addition Matthew a rarity in the Tranfield family. If you identify the Tranfield name in Nottinghamshire or Yorkshire records during your research I would be most grateful to know. Thank you.

Reputation beyond repute

Just flicking through Phillimore, the 1751 marriage is listed as Stratfield. Was this a one-off? Were the children listed as Tranfield?

The 1796 marriage appears actually to have be on 1 Aug 1793. The groom is listed as being 60 years old suggesting a date of birth of more like 1733.

Are there any interesting witnesses listed in the marriage register?

sparklingsilver

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am, however, seeking help to break down the brickwall surrounding his place of birth. Scrooby records have been exhausted and I have no idea where to look next. Details of his marriages, children baptised at Scrooby, and his burial are all known.

Famous for offering help & advice

I had a very quick look at the Scrooby fiche for you in Nottingham Library (very sorry I was very time limited). Presuming the pages were filmed in the order in the register it appears the register is very badly damaged. Fiche 1 stated 1695-1743 but went up to 1801 so there were an awful lot of years missing. The pages dated before 1729 were very badly damaged and illegible due to bleed through etc. I was unable to find 1730 at all. I was unable to find anything like the surnames you sought in the 1731-1736 entries which were much more legible. Many of the first names are missing off of these pages due to damage. I will try and have a look at the fiche again when I get to the Nottingham Archives to see if their copy is any better but I'm afraid I don't hold out much hope. Sorry.
    Mitch

larkspur

Burial's Clarborough NFHS cd
    4 March 1820 Matthew Tranfield aged 93 abode Moorgate.
    2 Jan 1863 John Tranfield aged 65 abode Moorgate, Wheat's Lodging house.
    There are 17 other burials for Tranfield in Carlton in Lindrick, Sutton cum Lound, Harworth,East Retford, Mattersley and Nottingham.
    There are 30 baptisms for Tranfield again in the same area including Scrooby
    Scrooby baptism
    15 Dec 1753 John son of Matthew Strattfield
    Clarborough burial
    17 Mar 1816 Chas. Stranfield infant abode Moorgate son of Thomas & Rebecca.
    Marriage Scrooby
    2 May 1751 Matthew Stratfield and Mary Bell
    1 Aug 1793 Matthew Tranfield and Ann Colton
    Scrooby baptisms father Matthew Tranfield
    3 Aug 1755 Anne
    21 Jan 1763 Matthew
    27 Oct 1765 Thomas
    5 Mar 1758 Mary TRANSFIELD

sparklingsilver

Default Tranfield of Nottinghamshire/Yorkshire.

Thank you, Larkspur,

I am very interested to know about the CD produced by NFHS and will make enquiries. The problem I have is in finding Tranfield pre-1727 entries. This is to enable me to establish where to find the baptismal record of Matthew Tranfield who was buried at Clarbrough in 1820, aged 93. This man is the founder of the Scrooby Tranfield/Stratfield family you have quoted and who married there twice - once as a youngman and again when elderly.

In 1731 an Elizabeth Tranfield, widow, married at East Retford John Roberts. There is the possibility of her being the mother of Matthew who would have been about four/five years of age. So again, I am looking for a marriage and burial for a male Tranfield between 1726/7 and 1731 the year that Elizabeth married for the second time. Hopefully, the CD will help me.

Thank you again for your help.

Famous for offering help & advice

Just for the record:

Burial's Clarborough NFHS cd
    4 March 1820 Matthew Tranfield aged 93 abode Moorgate.
    2 Jan 1863 John Tranfield aged 65 abode Moorgate, Wheat's Lodging house.

Though within the Parish of Clarborough, the Moorgate 'township' is very much in the centre of East Retford and is within shouting distance of St Swithuns Church. The fact that Elizabeth TRANFIELD remarried at East Retford in 1731 seems to suggest a strong connection with Retford itself. Possible alternative place to seek the baptism?

larkspur

There are 139 baptisms for a Mat*w 1727 +- 10 years, no surname and wild card on first name. Not one comes close to the surname you need including the illegitimate ones.
    The only marriages (2) of an Eli* and Tr*f*d/ Str*f*d are for the 1800s.
    No burials for a male, possible first husband of the widow Elizabeth.
    Have you considered Matthew could have been born born and baptised over the border in either Lincolnshire or Yorkshire??
    Sorry I cannot be more help.

sparklingsilver

Dear Larkspear/Mitch,

Thank you both for your kindness in helping me. My familiarity with Nottinghamshire and its parishes is nil and your assistance is much appreciated.

I will now look at the border parishes of Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Hopefully, one or more may have a family history society that have also produced parish record CDs. The Tranfield name is known in all three counties but all limited to one strand and no indication of a link between either.

The sons of Matthew signed their name on numerous occasions and always as Tranfield. It is however interesting to note that in records of them throughout their London life it is recorded in many variant forms – a few more than a mystery.

Thank you again for the time you have spent this riddle.

sparklingsilver

Dear Mitch/Larkspear,

Thank you both for your kindness in helping me. My familiarity with Nottinghamshire and its parishes is nil and your assistance is much appreciated.

I will now look at the border parishes of Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Hopefully, one or more may have a family history society that have also produced parish record CDs. The Tranfield name is known in all three counties but all limited to one strand and no indication of a link between either.

The sons of Matthew signed their name on numerous occasions and always as Tranfield. It is however interesting to note that in records of them throughout their London life it is recorded in many variant forms – a few more than a mystery.

Thank you again for the time you have spent on this riddle