Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Post Michael William Rogers b.1932

I have just started researching my father's side of the family and after hearing from my Aunt that my grandfather (Michael William Rogers) was illegitimate, I decided to order a copy of his birth certificate. As predicted, there was his mother's name but no father. His mother was Agnes Mary Rogers - according to my Aunt, she was married twice (both had surname Rogers) and had 4 sons John, Patrick, Michael and Robert. With the little information that I have I am assuming that John (possibly born 1922-24) was the result of her first marriage, then her husband died and Patrick came along around 1928, followed by my grandfather in 1932. There is evidence that she then married a Frank Rogers in 1933 and had Robert shortly after that. My grandfather was born in Cambridge, but I think his older brothers may have been born in London. This is all just guesswork of course.

Is there any way of finding out who Michael William's father was?

P.S. I have also been told that he died when my grandfather was 18 months old but I don't know how true this is. My father thinks that his death was related to the war in some way but again this is all just family hearsay.

Reputation beyond repute

Exactly how was the mother's name shown? Simply "Agnes Mary Rogers" or "Agnes Mary Rogers formerly......."?

Starting to feel at home

It was just "Agnes Mary Rogers" nothing more. I also have the address she was living at then but I don't think this helps much.

Famous for offering help & advice

I was just wondering if there was any point in trying to obtain birth certificates of John, Patrick and Robert if you are sure they were all sons of Agnes Mary. But if you are not sure exactly where or when they were born I guess that might be difficult, also you may be reluctant to shell-out for more certificates.

I'm not an expert on these things - on FreeBMD for the birth registration of Michael W Rogers, September quarter 1932, Cambridge, it appears to give mother's maiden name as Rogers - so do we take that to be "fact" ?

Reputation beyond repute

It was just "Agnes Mary Rogers" nothing more
    That implies she was a spinster at the time.

I think you should look at the parish register. Michael William ROGERS was baptised the son of Frank & Agnes in 1935. Also I think you need to seek out the baptism registers for Addenbrooke's Hospital for 1933.

I think you need this certificate:-
    Marriages Jun 1933
    Rogers Frank Rogers Cambridge 3b 1343

You can see a baptism transcription on FMP but you'll need some other way to see the original register.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Would it be worthwhile sending for the marriage certificate to Frank Rogers, she may have put her father's name, address and witnesses may give some clues.

I see her on the 1939 register but I don't have a subscription so I cannot see who is with her.

Mrs P

Reputation beyond repute

Would it be worthwhile sending for the marriage certificate to Frank Rogers?
    Yes!

Also the birth certificates of some of her children. It's amazing how many perceived problems can be solved by obtaining readily available documentation.

Reputation beyond repute

I see her on the 1939 register
    Well spotted Mrs P. The questioner need to look at the 1939 register.

From information in the 1939 register (which can't be quoted due to T&C), I think I see her in the 1911 census, born Pakenham.

If the questioner would get the marriage certificate we could confirm the census sighting.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks everyone. This is some great information. Can I just ask though - how do you access the parish registers and the 1939 register?

Is there any way that I can find out for sure if Frank was his father? Also, if Frank Rogers wasn't his real father, would there be some kind of adoption record somewhere?

Reputation beyond repute

how do you access the parish registers...
    Cambridgeshire transcripts on FMP, For originals - County Record Office or try the Mormons (they seem to have Chesterton PRs on the shelves of the London Centre - currently camped at the National Archives - soon to move to the Society of Genealogists).

...and the 1939 register?
    FMP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast