Default Strange initials on footstone found in field

I found this footstone about 1" below the soil in my field near the river in the east coast of Canada. What could the initials possibly mean? Aside from the native population, this general area has had French settlers since the 1640s. My particular area, however, isn't thought to have had settlers until the Scottish and English in the late 1790's early 1800's.

FM'E.
    MAM'E

Any thoughts?

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi, and welcome.

Sometimes the Scottish or Irish surname prefix Mc/Mac is written as M', so it could be a stone for two people who might be recorded elsewhere as F McE.... and MA McE....

You've described it as a footstone, and certainly in England, a small stone with just initials is sometimes found marking the foot of a grave, with a larger stone with a full inscription at the head. I don't know if that would apply in Canada as well - or possibly people with limited resources might only be able to afford a small stone.

Another possibility - rather than a gravestone, could it be some kind of boundary marker?

Arthur

Kiltpin

I agree with Arthur, but go one step further. I have found very many of my wife's ancestors in Norfolk and Suffolk would only have a small stone. Especially if they were agricultural workers and money was tight.

It is also said of itinerant fruit pickers. They would spend over half a year away from their home village. Would they want to spend money on a stone that they might never see again?

Regards

Chas