Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

What an interesting post this is - David Newton is, I believe, my great (x3) grandfather so I can say hello to cousin Hilary!

When I saw the news article about the inquest (“Local Intelligence,” Bucks Herald (Buckinghamshire, England), 14 November 1835, p. 3, col. 4.; image copy, Findmypast.co.uk (https://
    search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/: accessed 13 November 2021), British Newspapers.) I was reminded of the death of George Chandler who is, I believe, David's grandson and my great-grandfather. By coincidence, George also died after falling from a tree. Steve Ives kindly helped me track him down in July 2020 (https://www.
    facebook.com/groups/1439323096168810/search/?q=george%20chandler).

George was born around 1848 and died in 1896 in Harlington Cottage Hospital, Staines, Middlesex on 17 Jun 1896. His death certificate states that the cause of death was a fractured spine from an accidental fall from a ladder.

INQUEST. —An inquest was held at the Cottage Hospital on Saturday last, on the body of George Chandler, aged 48, a cherry picker, of Low Bottom, Tring, Herts in the employ of Messrs. W. and H. Philp. market gardeners, Harlington. Deceased was picking cherries in Philp orchard on Monday. the 15th inst., and whilst attempting to pull a large bough to him the ladder on which he was standing tipped on one side, the bough broke, and Chandler fell to the ground. Ann Bladen, who was gathering fruit in Heyward's garden close by, heard something fall at 10.50 a.m., and at 11 a.m.she heard a groan. She then looked over the hedge, and saw deceased lying under the tree on the ground, resting on the broken bough. She ran and lifted him up, and called Mr. W. Philp, his employer, and Robert Levett, a workman. Dr. Donaldson, who was near at the time, was called, and ordered removal to the hospital, where he was examined by the doctor, who found he was suffering from a fractured spine and collar bone. He remained at the hospital till death, which took place at 7.45 p.m. on the 17th inst.—The doctor informed P.C. Rivett, 65 T.R. (the coroner's officer), who made the necessary preparations for the inquest. —P.C. Butler watched the case on behalf of the police.—After hearing the above evidence the following verdict was returned, Deceased died from fractured spine, the result of an accidental fall from a ladder."—The ladder and bough were inspected by the jury at the hospital.

“Harlington,” Middlesex and Buckinghamshire Advertiser, Uxbridge, Harrow and Watford Journal (Uxbridge, Middlesex, England), 27 June 1896, p. 5, col. 6.; image copy, Findmypast.co.uk (https://
    search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/: accessed 16 November 2021), British Newspapers.

I'm going to be very careful next time I climb a tree!
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 17-11-2021 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Direct links to commercial sites removed as per our T&Cs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Kai,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Unfortunately Hilary is no longer a member of the forum as shown by the word 'guest' under her name, so might not see your message.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

thanks Pam, I'll contact Hilary directly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234