Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Yes, I think that is the case. I did wonder why there was a Davey & a David Newton. I think it was to avoid confusion in the family.
    But if they reverted to each using either name, that's where it gets a bit muddled up. And adding to that, there are the multiple marriages, and the bobbing about between The Lee, Wendover and other parishes.

I have first hand knowledge about my relatives doing exactly that, in the same parishes, including Great Missenden. I does help if you can look at a map to see there locations to each other.

I would write this all up in pencil, before you add them to your tree.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

hilarykellis

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    Yes, I think that is the case. I did wonder why there was a Davey & a David Newton. I think it was to avoid confusion in the family.
    But if they reverted to each using either name, that's where it gets a bit muddled up. And adding to that, there are the multiple marriages, and the bobbing about between The Lee, Wendover and other parishes.

I have first hand knowledge about my relatives doing exactly that, in the same parishes, including Great Missenden. I does help if you can look at a map to see there locations to each other.

I would write this all up in pencil, before you add them to your tree.

Steve.
    Thank you so much, Steve, for all of your help!

I also had William Chandler, Louisa's husband, wrong. I had his parents incorrect. In census records he is born circa 1821 and died in 1897. Your marriage data suggests his father was a William Chandler. Census records give his birth in Wendover or Buckland. Do you happen to see him in your Buckinghamshire baptism records? Would be so grateful for any assistance.

Thank you again - to all!

It seems in the census from 1851 to 1891, his p.o.b is given as Buckland, Wendover & Aston Clinton. 1819 to 1822 as year of birth.

I will have a look in all those Parishes to see if which one it might be. It may take longer than 15 minutes, so I will have to make another post, if that is the case.

Bear with me.

Steve.

After looking in Buckland, Wendover, Aston Clinton, The Lee, Great Missenden.......my thoughts reverted back to Cholesey PR's................

7 Apr 1822 - William, born 24 Jan illegitimate son of Phebe CHANDLER of Buckland Lane, Plaiter.

1841 census.

William Chandler
    abt 1826
    Born: Buckinghamshire.
    Civil Parish - Wendover
    Hundred -Aylesbury
    Buckinghamshire
    Address - Levan Lane. ?? (Lee Common district)
    Reg. district: Wycombe
    Sub-reg distr. Wendover

Piece - 43
    Book - 4
    Folio: 5
    Page - 4

William Chandler 50
    Phebe Chandler 40
    Mary Chandler 20
    William Chandler 15
    David Chandler 12
    Thomas Chandler 6

Baptism - 3 Jul 1791 William son of James & Massey CHANDLER of Buckland
    Baptism - 1 Jul 1798. David son of James & Massey CHANDLER of the parish of Buckland
    Baptism - 3 May 1801. Phebe daughter of James & Massey CHANDLER.

Buckland Marriage - 1 Dec 1783. by Banns
    James X CHANDLER otp
    Mercy X BRACKLEY otp
    Witnesses - John Cooper, Francis(x)Bateman

Burial - 2 Sep 1828. James CHANDLER aged 68 of Buckland Lane, a married man.

Not sure where Mercy Chandler(nee.Brackley) is buried.?

Steve.

Hi Steve,

You've done a sterling job for Hilary. I'm never failed to be amazed by how much help and time you and others' give freely to their fellow members Fantastic research.
    Alma

Sorry, I should have said this burial was in Cholesey, as previous my post.. #24.

Steve.

All records from BucksFHS Transcript CD's where places are mentioned.

hilarykellis

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    Sorry, I should have said this burial was in Cholesey, as previous my post.. #24.

Steve.

All records from BucksFHS Transcript CD's where places are mentioned.
    Thank you so much, Steve!

hilarykellis

So when William listed his father as William Chandler, was he likely just listing his uncle to save face?

Or his grandfather......but yes. He'd pluck a name from his family, or the family member that brought him up, or lived with. I've seen this many times.

I've looked for burials for Mercy/Massey Chandler, to no avail. So perhaps a search from BucksFHS might be in order. She would have died after James Chandler(a married man), so from 1828 really. And possibly her name was MARY Chandler(nee.Brackley), which I never found in Cholesbury.

As for the demise or marriage of Phebe Chandler, I've no idea.

I did find this marriage BANN & baptisms....so a marriage at Buckland I think.

Banns -18 Sep 1763.
    Joseph BRACKLEY otp
    Jenny DAVIS of the parish of Buckland

1 Jan 1764. Mary daughter of Jos BRACKLEY. (Could this be Mercy/Massey). ??
    16 Mar 1768. Fanny daughter of Jospeh BRACKLEY.
    22 Apr 1770. David son of Joseph BRACKLEY.
    26 Apr 1772. Charles son of Joseph BRACKLEY
    23 Mar 1777 Hannah daughter of Joseph BRACKLEY.
    24 Nov 1782 Job son of Joseph BRACKLEY.

It's not unusual just to have fathers name on a baptism, until there are or other Brackley children born in the parish.

Burial - 16 Nov 1784. Jane BRACKLEY
    Burial - 27 May 1823. Joseph BRACKLEY aged 83 widower of Buckland Common.

Baptism - 18 Apr 1742. Joseph son of William & Rebecca BRACKLEY.

Burial - 7 Apr 1765. Rebekah BRACKLEY, buried in woollen.
    Burial - 27 Feb 1778. William BRACKLEY, buried in woollen.

Steve.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Might Mercy have remarried, in which case she would be under a different surname? 68 is not too old to become a bride again; my gran was 84! pwholt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast