Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Wendover PR's.

Marriage 23 Sep 1843 by Banns
    William X CHANDLER, aged FA, Bachelor of Wendover, Labourer son of William Chandler, Labourer
    Louisa X NEWTON, aged FA, Spinster of Wendover, Plaiter daughter of David Newton, Labourer
    Witnesses James X Keen Ann X Woodhouse

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Famous for offering help & advice

as far as the Trafalgar man goes, this researcher seems to agree with a parentage of William & Rebecca

https://www.cholesbury.com/pdf/battle-of-trafalgar.pdf

.......... but, as has been said, we mustn't slavishly copy other's ideas (and it may be the wrong man anyway)

BucksFHS - Cholesbury PR's CD.

Baptism 10 Dec 1818 Charlotte born 9 Dec daughter of David & Phyllis NEWTON of Choulsbury, Labourer.
    Baptism 23 Jan 1825 Sophia born 6 Jan 1822 daughter of David & Phyllis NEWTON of Choulsbury, Labourer.
    Baptism 23 Jan 1825 James born 27 Dec 1824 son of David & Phyllis NEWTON of Choulsbury, Labourer

Burial 9 Nov 1832 Sophia NEWTON aged 11 of Cholesbury
    Burial 5 Aug 1852 Phillis NEWTON aged 74 of Cholesbury
    Burial 4 Sep 1878 David NEWTON in his 99th year, a Marine fought at the Battle of Trafalgar of Cholesbury. As written in the transcripts.

Marriage 24 Dec 1851
    James X NEWTON, aged Fa, Bachelor of Cholesbury, Labourer son of David Newton, Labourer
    Lucy X BROWN, aged Fa, Spinster of Cholesbury, Straw Plaiter
    Witnesses Joseph X Wright Hannah X Bowdy

Baptism 7 May 1854 Sophia child of James & Lucy NEWTON of Cholesbury, Labourer.
    Baptism 21 Sep 1857 David son of James & Lucy NEWTON of Cholesbury, Labourer
    Burial 19 Aug 1864 David NEWTON aged 7 of Cholesbury

Baptism 24 Aug 1873 Lucy Maud child of Sophia NEWTON of Cholesbury, Straw Plaiter, illegitimate.

Burial 25 Mar 1858 Lucy NEWTON aged 27 of Cholesbury
    Burial 17 Jan 1894 James NEWTON aged 70 of Choulesbury

Marriage 22 Jul 1874 by Licence
    James X NEWTON, aged Fa, Widower of Cholesbury, Timber Dealer son of David Newton, Labourer
    Elizabeth SAVILLE, aged Fa, Widow of Wigginton daughter of Thomas Bond, Farm Bailiff
    Witnesses Enoch Braund, Christeen Brown.

Marriage 1 Jan 1842
    David X KING, aged Fa, Bachelor of Buckland, Labourer son of William King, Labourer
    Charlotte X NEWTON, aged Fa, Spinster of Cholesbury, Labourer daughter of David Newton, Labourer
    Witnesses James King Mary X King.

Steve.

From BuckFHS. Great Missenden Transcripts CD.

Marriage 16 Oct 1770 by Banns
    John X NEWTON, Bachelor of Lee
    Keziah HAWKES, Spinster of Lee
    Witnesses - William Darvall & Thos Fassnidge.

Marriage 30 Apr 1778 by Banns
    John X NEWTON, Widower of of this parish
    Elizabeth X PARSONS, Spinster of of this parish
    Witnesses - Thos Newman & Jno Fassnidge.

England select Marriages.
    William Newton
    Marriage Date: 31 Jul 1775
    Marriage Place: Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England
    Spouse: Rebecca Parratt
    FHL Film Number: 1999163
    Reference ID: Item 1.

There does not appear to be any baptisms to either of these couples in Great Missenden.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These Great Missenden banns apply to a previous post for the marriage of David Newton & Hannah Newton.
    Banns 16 Jan 1859
    David NEWTON, Bachelor of Wendover
    Hannah NEWTON, Spinster of of this parish.

Steve.

Bucks Herald 14 November 1835

Inquisition taken.

On the 7th instant at Lee Gate, in the parish of Wendover, on the body of David Newton. On Thursday, the 5th instant, in consequence of the deceased not returning home from work at the usual time, his wife requested a man of the name of Freeman Philby, to go in search of him, for she was afraid he had fell out of a tree whilst getting dead wood. Witness then went in search of the deceased but did not succeed in finding him that night; on renewing his search the following morning, he found him in a wood belonging to a Mr Bargis, under an oak tree, lying on his face, with his head beat into the ground; one hand underneath him, and the other straight out. On examination of the body, a very extensive fracture of the scull, besides other severe contusions, was found; his face appeared as if struck in several places with the fist. These appearances made the jury anxious to view the spot, which they did, and being quite satisfied of the deceased having fallen from the tree, returned their verdict accordingly.
    Alma

hilarykellis

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    as far as the Trafalgar man goes, this researcher seems to agree with a parentage of William & Rebecca

https://www.cholesbury.com/pdf/battle-of-trafalgar.pdf

.......... but, as has been said, we mustn't slavishly copy other's ideas (and it may be the wrong man anyway)
    So now I am ever so confused...I was following this until they said he married Phyllis. I am having trouble following everyone's comments...though am so grateful for all of the research. Do we think this Trafalgar David is the one who married Mary Wooten?

hilarykellis

And I see the Cholesbury article also says Phillis died in 1852 which we know to be untrue, because she's still kicking in subsequent census records if I remember correctly??

Quote Originally Posted by hilarykellis View Post
    And I see the Cholesbury article also says Phillis died in 1852 which we know to be untrue, because she's still kicking in subsequent census records if I remember correctly??
    I wonder who they buried then.

Burial 5 Aug 1852 Phillis NEWTON aged 74 of Cholesbury.

Phillis Newton
    Year: 1852
    Quarter: - Jul-Aug-Sep
    Regi. dist. Aylesbury
    County: Buckinghamshire
    Volume: 3a
    Page: 263

Steve.

hilarykellis

Stepives now it's coming together.

So it looks like my David m. Mary Wooten and Pheobe Chandler and died in 1835. Pheobe died in 1840. His parents were Hannah and Davey Newton, and it looks like Davey Sr. was actually the brother of the William Newton who m. Rebecca Parratt, which could explain the common names. (Mother of Davey and William was probably Mary Davey and father John Newton, both from Lee)?

I think it's coming together now...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast