Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Anyone fluent in French?

If there is anyone who is reasonably fluent in French, I would be very grateful if they could have a look at this thread
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...Eason-Sharpley
    and then translate the main bits about John Eason's parents etc.

No need to bother with all the rubbish I found re the John born in 1915. Just the one born in 1925, his parents Walter and Marion, the fact that he had three siblings, and the memorial in Ormskirk.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

If all else fails, he can copy/paste into Google translate. I use it for German - it's not pretty but gives a reasonable idea of what's being said...

I know. I was just trying to save Didier translating the useless posts.

If all else fails I might summarise everything with a big message 'translate only this'.

Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful

John Eason Sharpley eatait nee 1925 a Burnley, Lancashire. Son pere etait Walter Sharpley et sa mere etait Marion Nairne Eason Sharpley, nee Weir.

I doubt if that is perfect but it basically says when and were he was born and the names of his parents. If anyone can do better, please feel free.

Emeltee

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

His father was Walter Sharpley and his mother was Marion Nairne Eason Sharpley, nee Weir.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Who needs to be fluent with google translation service?

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Who needs to be fluent with google translation service?
    Um, I think it's a case of 'don't believe everything you translate.
    I can understand most of what you posted but got stumped with
    Heather pourrait encore vivre ŕ Burnley étant fouineuse
    Shoved it into 'translate from French to English' and got
    "Heather could still live in Burnley being stoned".

I checked out that Facebook page and it's not the right Heather.
    Daughter looked far too young to be the daughter of someone born in the late 1920s, and investigating further
    FB Heather's birthday is in the wrong registration quarter (birthday is in May) and wedding anniversary is September quarter. John's sister Heather's birth was registered March quarter, and she married March quarter.
    I have therefore taken the liberty of deleting the bit about Heather being on FB.

emeltee - thank you. Apologies for not getting back earlier - I fell asleep in the chair.

Pam

Name well known on Brit-Gen

OK back to the drawing board!

You gotta have a laff!

I'll do my best but I will also have to explain about the English system being so different from the French one eg Registration District can cover more than just the named place and also how to obtain a birth certificate which is what Didier wanted originally. He may change his mind in view of the cost! I will posty on the thread itself - hope that's what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by gaillac View Post
    I'll do my best but I will also have to explain about the English system being so different from the French one eg Registration District can cover more than just the named place and also how to obtain a birth certificate which is what Didier wanted originally. He may change his mind in view of the cost! I will posty on the thread itself - hope that's what you wanted.
    Ooh, I didn't realise that Didier wanted the birth certificate - I thought he just wanted to know about John's birth as in 'parents'.

John's birth was in Burnley registration district and I expect that he was born in Burnley itself as that where his parents were living when they married in 1922.
    Do you think that Didier would need to know about the intricacies of the English registration system? I would have thought a straightforward 'apply here' (link to GRO site) and then telling him the exact details he needs to quote (as well as the cost) would suffice.
    Name: John E Sharpley
    Year: 1925
    Quarter: IIRC you have to put a number so that would be 1 for March
    (Registration) district: Burnley
    Volume number: 8e
    Page number: 314

We positively know who John's parents were, and the names of his two sisters and brothers, though apart from one of the sisters marrying and possibly finding her address in the early part of this century I've not been able to find out much else about them.

If you could post in the thread I'd be very grateful. Could you also ask Didier why he is asking about John? Merci beaucoup.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast