Loves to help with queries

Default Couple marrying twice

England Select Marriages (ancestry) 15 August 1844 William Lockeram Luke 21, spouse Tabetha Alexander. Marriage place: Dean of Salisbury, Dorset FHL Film No 1278695

22 August 1844 William Lockeram Luke 20, bachelor and Tabitha Alexander 23, spinster were married at Holy Cross Parish Church Ramsbury. Both of this Parish. Fathers James Lockeram Luke, Builder and John A Alexander, Groom. My own extraction from the PR.

Even if it was to do with William being under age, why is he a bachelor on 22 August when he has been married a week unless the original marriage couldn't stand.

Any suggestions most welcome

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

As these records come from different sources - Ancestry and the Parish Record - there is a chance that the Ancestry one is a miss-copy or 'typo'.
    FamilySearch site only has the one entry (for the 15th) and this is the record that Ancestry seem to quote. There is no image, just a transcript. If that was transcribed wrong then the PR would seem to be the better bet.

Cheers, MTS

It's not quite the same - but I have seen birth dates and baptism dates swapped over on these records - so perhaps the 15th was on the previous marriage's line entry

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I think you need to revisit the 2 entry. I can only see the 15 August on line. Is the second date the Bishop's Transcript. FMP only has 15th

Knowledgeable and helpful

Does the register say if the marriage was by licence or by banns? The ancestry entry looks very much to me as if it is a marriage licence bond, which would have a date earlier than the marriage. pwholt

Knowledgeable and helpful

I agree with pwholt - it is possibly a marriage licence/bond from the Dean of Salisbury. I don't think Dean of Salisbury is a place.
    The best way to confirm exactly when and where the marriage took place would be to send for the marriage certificate. The GRO reference is

Sep 1844 Hungerford vol 6 page 297.

Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

As already suggested, 15 August is a marriage licence date - no doubt about it.

The Family Search film quoted is entitled "Marriage license bonds & allegations 1638-1894
    Authors: Church of England. Dean of Salisbury"

It is always worth checking the film number quoted on the Family Search site.

Loves to help with queries

I knew the PR date of 22 August was correct as I had double checked all my transcriptions. Just now checked out the Film no and YES its the Marriage Licence Bonds and Allegations. Should have thought of that one first!

Many thanks

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hey we all make that sort of mistake