Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brianman View Post
    Hello Christina / others
    What a surprise , I did not expect a reply so quickly but many thanks .
    Ok short long story , my maternal side were Thomas they go back to John Born about 1788 in St Hilary Died ?? M Elizabeth ( Tredrea ) born 1792 St Hilary Died ??
    Another John (popular name ) his son B 1817 Gulval Died 1853 in ?? England M Amelia ( Beaglehole ) 1844 in Gulval .
    Present Day . whilst I was visiting Thomas family graves at Bendigo Victoria Australia recently I saw said Thomas Thomas / Susan Thomas on a grave quite close to my family and wondered if they were indeed related maybe not but I am interested that his name is not at Cemetery index ( her name is ) a lot of Thomas family members came from Cornwall lived in Bendigo so here I am caught up in this jig saw puzzle people call Genealogy ( madness ?? )
    Sorry to take so long but would to know if they are our's
    Ps If not will still put flowers on their grave when I visit lol
    Many Thanks from Oz
    Brainman, what exactly was written on the headstone? Thomas T Thomas? Susan Owens? Susan Thomas?

Quote Originally Posted by Annalies View Post
    Aha, there you are, Thomas Berriman Thomas born in 1808 St Ives married Susan Stirling Adams, not Susan Owens. So this is the wrong Thomas. I think Almach has the right Thomas for you if you can find their emigration record to Australia.
    Yes this family did emigrate according to a tree on ancestry but they don't have a travel date and I can't see one as yet. Mary Maria is listed as a daughter and another child Ruth born 1853 has the middle name Yemming.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Annalies
    Some information from Susan's gravestone on Find A Grave
    Born 1802 died 1881 Susan Owens Thomas daughter of Richard Thomas and Elizabeth Yenings.
    Child Mary Maria Owens 1842 Melbourne - 1901 married James Knuckey

Christina
    Aha, there you go, Find A Grave have the wrong information on their site if what you say above is correct Christina. Susan Thomas who died in 1881 in Victoria was the daughter of Richard Owens and Elizabeth Yenings (source: Victorian BDM online historical indexes) Good find by the way

Hi
    Hi Annalies
    Some information from Susan's gravestone on Find A Grave
    Born 1802 died 1881 Susan Owens Thomas daughter of Richard Owens and Elizabeth Yenings.
    Child Mary Maria Owens 1842 Melbourne - 1901 married James Knuckey

Christina
    Sorry I put the wrong surnames to Susan's father and daughter. Richard Owens and Mary Maria Thomas. Definitely the Thomas Thomas and Susan that Almach found in the 1841 census in Gloucestershire.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name: Susan Thomas born abt 1808, Age: 73
    Death Place: Sandhurst, Victoria
    Father's name: Owens Richd, Mother's name: Elizth Yenings
    1881, Victoria

Find a Grave has Susan's birth as 1803 it is possibly 1808 (if the last digit is a little worn it would look like a 3)

Passenger list. All born Bristol
    Susan Thomas, Age: 33
    Arrival Date: 6 Dec 1841, Port Phillip Bay, Australia
    Departure Port: Bristol
    Ship: Ward Chipman
    Thos Thomas 32; Susan 33; James 15; George 6; John 2 1/2; David 14 months; Elizabeth 8
    Last edited by almach; 02-03-2017 at 1:35 PM. Reason: added a person
    Alma

A death registration
    Thomas Thomas, abt 1809, Age: 51, Victoria
    Father's name: David
    Registration Year: 1860, Registration Number: 6578

And a possible corresponding christening
    Thomas Thomas 26 Mar 1809, Tidenham, Gloucestershire
    Son of David Thomas annd Mary

Thomas and Susan have children named David and Mary
    Alma

Cool Thomas Families

Quote Originally Posted by Annalies View Post
    The Thomas B Thomas you refer to here from St Ives was Thomas Berriman Thomas, baptised 16 Nov 1808 in St Ives. He married Susan S (haven't found the marriage as yet but only quickly looked) however Thomas and Susan are indeed still in St Ives in 1851 and then in 1861 he is aboard the vessel Mystery off the coast of Swansea. I haven't seen any emigration or passenger list with their names on as yet. Are you certain that the grave you saw pertains to this Thomas? Where did you get Susan's maiden name? Very interesting
    Not sure where I got her Owens name from but it is correct Iwill look it up and get back to you .
    On headstone Thomas d 1860 ( 51yrs ) Susan Thomas ( not Susanne or other ) d 1881 ( 73yrs ) . Both Bendigo Victoria Australia , very hard to find any shipping details ( Too early ) easier to find records if they were convicts ( shhhhh )
    So would not be him in your 1851--1861 .
    I have a James Thomas b 1852 in Cornwall d 1919 Bendigo Victoria ,he was the son of John Thomas b 1817 in Gulval d 1853 of who I have mentioned before .
    Many Thanks to you all from OZ

Thanks to all for information on Thomas Thomas d 1860 and family above is all correct now .
    I can now chase my paternal side Charles Fairman b 1811 Brighton Sussex d 1889 NSW Australia
    He was a Whaler on the L'Aigle that was wrecked off Tonga in 1830 then brought to Sydney Australia .
    All his personal papers were lost , I want to find if any family members are in or near Brighton [if possible ]
    Also if there was a Whaling station or such around to find any details or history .
    Once again many thanks to you all Oz

Sorry Annalies been on holidays .
    In regard to your question ,on headstone is Thomas Thomas d 29th April 1860 aged 51 years And Susan Thomas d 6th Nov 1881 aged 73 years .
    Not on headstone , F Richard Owens M Elizabeth Owens nee Yenings Child Mary Maria m Thomas Knuckey d 26/04/1901 .
    Looking more likely not related but will keep going .
    Many Thanks from OZ

Hello Annlies.
    Searching for any details for George Thomas b about 1801 .
    MIGHT have M Jane Moyle in Wendron 1819 , son John Thomas b 1820 d 1853 Gulval .
    Best Regards Brianman

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast