Default Essex Regiment - E Jones

Hello

My G G'father's WW1 records show that he had previous military service having joined the Essex Regiment in 1897. Am I right in assuming he would have served in the 2nd Boer War?

His name was Edward Jones, born 1874 Stratford, Essex. I've attached the first page of his Short Service Attestation from 1915 which I downloaded from Ancestry.co.uk.

How would I go about finding his service record from 1897? I have downloaded Boer War medal rolls from the National Archives and found four men named E Jones in the Essex Regiment having received medals. I have been able to identify and discount 3 of them through Ancestry - the remaining one has the reg number 6010. Image attached - there are other notes next to his name which might be interesting.

I would be grateful for any advice or pointers in the right direction. Many thanks in advance.

Reputation beyond repute

It says T of E 1897. That would be when he was discharged, surely.

Have you checked FMP for a service record?

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what T of E would stand for?

If FMP is FindmyPast, I haven't been able to find anything on there.

Reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me what T of E would stand for?
    Termination of Engagement, I believe. Sometime shown as Time Expired (TE)

If FMP is FindmyPast, I haven't been able to find anything on there.
    That's a pity. Unfortunately not all service records survived, particularly if the man didn't qualify for a pension.

Most of what's possible is described in this research guide and the related guides.

Thank you for clarifying and for the helpful link. It does look like there may be nothing more I can find though. I was hoping that the Boer War might have been the reason for his absence from the 1901 census.

Thank you again for your help.