Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

The Tasmanian online data base for convicts has data on Moses Isaacs including his time on the hulk and his death 31 July 1842 at H M Colony Hospital. There are physical descriptions of Moses plus his description as a 'very bad character'. His trade was described as clerk and hawker 'a converted Jew'. There appears to be a reference to "Poland" but I can't read the context clearly or if it is the correct word.
    His dob is circa 1820-21 based on the varying ages in the criminal records and convict record.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

There is no confirmation that the following Henry Isaacs is a son of Hyam Isaacs but I am posting data just in case he is one of the 9 children.

The entries appear in the UK Criminal Records data base and the UK Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books 1802-1809.

The entries ( there is at least 1 newspaper report of Henry Isaacs and his conviction)include:
    Henry Isaacs age 19 b abt 1819 date convicted 10 April 1838 Exeter Crime stealing lead trade baker sente 7 years transportation - single;read or write No.Bad character Convicted before -Justitia Woolwich. Disposed of 20 March 1839.

A later entry has the same Henry Isaacs age 26 Larceny Convicted Exeter 10 April 1838 7 years transportation, convicted before How disposed -Leviathan Portsmouth 31 August 1844. No particulars sent for the prisoners.

My query is what does the 1844 record refer to. Does it mean a second sentence in 1844 or had he never been transported originally. I can't see an Australian convict record. Any advice welcome.

Looking at the current data on the Hyam Isaacs lines there remain key issues as to who actually were his children. Within this thread links have been made with Hyam Isaacs who were green grocer and fishmonger and the Hyam Isaacs glass cutter. The Hyam Isaacs who died in 1847 was referred to in at least one newspaper article as a glass cutter and this also appears in the 1814 London baptism records for some of his children.

The newspaper refrence to Hyam Isaacs stating he had 9 children in 1830 may also need to be treated with caution. I have read several accounts where the term 'children' has been used to refer to p/nieces/grandchildren being looked after. It maybe, that Hyam did have 9 children but looking back at #1 of this thread Elizabeth Isaacs was considered as a possible mother of a child various family trees has a child of Hyam/Amelia.
    It was also not uncommon for children to be 'adopted' by uncle/aunt etc. Indeed this occurred with two of my own Jewish lines and the children are referred to as 'adopted daughter' in wills.

Amelia Isaacs is recorded in various family trees as dying in 1870 in Southampton with 2 census records 1851-1861 giving Shadwell as her birth place. As yet I have yet to see a copy of her GRO Death Certificate to see if it records who her husband was and the informant.

I raise these points to see what new data emerges to confirm the various relationships.

A researcher who is related to the Hyam Isaacs lines has kindly said that Chapman Isaacs changed his name to Colin ISAAC and married Jane WALLIS Melbourne Victoria. The Australian Marriage Index records give Colin ISAACS and marriage to Jane Wallis 1847 Victoria Melbourne.
    In addition, the researcher stated that Colin Isaac was transported to Tasmania. The Tasmanian convict records show a Colin ISAAC convicted 3 July 1832 Exeter Devon place of origin London Shoemaker age 21 Departure 29 January 1834 Plymouth on the Moffat 7 years transportation.
    The Exeter Flying Post Thursday 12 July 1832 provides a very brief record of his conviction with an age 26.

Australian Newspaper Archives ( Trove Collection) also provide records on a Colin Isaac aka Isaacs.

I can't currently, locate any data which confirms that this Colin Isaac aka Isaacs is the son of Hyam/Amelia and any data would be welcome. There are numbers of Ancestry.Co public family trees who have Chapman dying in 1850 but no proof is provided other than a commonality of name and GRO Death Index reference.

Looking again at the London baptism records there are no records beyond the 1814 data relating to the children of Hyam and Amelia but there may well be records in Devon or other areas depending upon where Hyam/Amelia were living when he was working and preaching.

The researcher also referred to the name changes often adopted by Jews. This was quite common and I have posted on these points in earlier threads and posts and given some reasons for this. My own distant cousins and myself have such changes within our lines.

When Hyam and Amelia converted to Christianity they would have been ostracized by most in the Jewish community and this would include their children. This would also include their immediate relations not wanting contact with the family. I have seen no reference in any wills to Hyam and his children but many individuals did not have wills. At present we lack confirmatory data on all the children of Hyam.
    However, here is one newspaper article confirming Benjamin as the son of Hyam...Norfolk News Sat 27 Nov 1847
    On Tuesday evening Mr B ISAACS, son of the late Hyam Isaacs, well known for many years, a converted Jew, gave a concert at the Corn Exchange singing many popular songs and accompanying himself.

Default COLIN ISAAC (S)-JANE WALLIS aka WALLACE

The Victoria BMD online records show the birth of Jane ISAACS mother Bridget Wallace father Colin Geelong 1857;Death of Jane ISAACS age 2months 1858

I can't currently locate a Death record for a Colin Isaac aka Isaacs in the Victoria BMD or in NSW BMD.
    There is no Probate in the Victoria records for Colin Isaac/s assuming that a will was written.

Here is further data on possible related Hyam Isaacs lines but this needs confirming.
    Birth Edwin Isaacs 1840 June qtr St Thomas Devon 10 234 - This is St Thomas Union Workhouse Devon.
    Edwin dies age 2 in the workhouse- June qtr 1824 St Thomas Union vol 10 160

This maybe his mother EMMA ISAACS Death June qtr 1840 St Thomas Union Devon 10 159

The GRO Birth and Death Certificates may provide further information but often if a child was born illegitimate the father's name was not recorded. Similarly, in the case of Emma Isaacs there maybe no information on her death certificate to indicate any family relationships particularly if she died in the workhouse. There maybe union workhouse records to indicate when/why she entered the workhouse but not familial links.

With regard to Jewish forename naming traditions and clues to the Isaacs lines:
    "It used to be the custom amongst the Ashkenazim that a child was not named after a living ancestor,and if,he appeared to have the same name as his father, the suggestion is he would have been born posthumously. The Ashkenazim felt superstitious about naming people after the living and thought it might shorten their lives. This is not the case for Sephardim, where naming after a living relative ( usually a grandparent) is considered a form of honouring that person....In Ashkenazi tradition,providing the grandparents are dead,the first son is given the name of the paternal grandfather and the second that of the maternal grandfather".
    My Ancestors were Jewish Dr Anthony Joseph.Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd 3rd Edition 2002

Looking at the Hyam Isaacs line and the children it appears that Hyam pre conversion did adopt the Ashkenazi tradition.

Here are several Isaacs births for the Exeter area. I noted that Edward Isaacs Jqtr 1852 Exeter 05B 111 mother's maiden name SAUNDERS is not recorded in the Ancestry.Co public trees so far. Elizabeth Isaacs 1849 M qtr Exeter 10 110-mother's maiden name Saunders;Charles Edwin Isaacs J qtr 1843 Exeter 10 89 Mother's maiden name Saunders- these are the descendants of Hyam.

Other Isaacs-Amelia Elizabeth Isaacs J qtr 1846 10 99 mother's maiden name Rye
    Emma Eliza Isaacs 1846 D qtr Exeter 10 93-mother's maiden name Cockwell
    John Isaacs S qtr Exeter 10 82 1846 Mother's maiden name Knott
    Henry Isaacs M qtr 1839 Exeter 10 99 Mother's maiden name Anton

I will post Deaths.

Default HYAM ISAACS 1780-1847 GLASS CUTTER

Previous posts on this thread have referred to Hyam Isaacs being a grocer or a fishmonger. The following taken from Hyam Isaac's own book and in his own words makes clear that he was a glass cutter and he makes no reference to any other occupation beyond his preaching around the country.
    See Google books online
    The Awakenings of the Jews from their slumber: Together with Traditionary tales, forms customs. Hyam Isaacs a converted Jew 6 Devonshire Street Bishopsgate. Publisher T Ward and Co Paternoster Row 1842

"My seventeen years of life( being now three score)I have been heavily afflicted by an almost total loss of sight, which has prevented me following my avocation as a glass cutter, from an accident I met with in that employment and which was the only support of myself and my family".

He went on to say that his only income was from selling pamphlets at 1 shilling when he preached and lectured. He also claimed to have lectured 4000 times in 1200 different places proclaiming Christianity.

The 1814 baptism records of some of his children gave his occupation as glass cutter.

This data suggests that those family trees which have Hyam Isaacs in another trade beyond glass cutter need reviewing since they may have made errors in linking individuals to this Hyam.

The following are GRO Death Index Records taken from the main Registrar Records and not Free BMD.
    These records may or may not be relevant to the Hyam Isaacs lines but I am aware that numbers of Ancestry public trees have added some of the names to trees without checking data.

Nb All the Death Index Records are from the Exeter region only.

DEATHS
    George Isaacs age 3 1839 D qtr 10 55
    John Isaacs 1842 D qtr 10 78 age 21
    Thomas Isaacs 1851 D qtr 10 72 age 62
    Edward Isaacs age 2 D qtr 05B 79 1854
    Eliza Isaacs age 21 1839 J qtr 10 60
    Elizabeth Isaacs age 1 1841 S qtr 10 70
    Eliza Isaacs 1849 age 1 S qtr 10 70
    Maria Isaacs age 24 M qtr 10 72
    Mary Isaacs age 58 1845 J qtr 10 65
    Jane Isaac 1849 age 34 10 63
    Grace Isaacs age 51 1857 M qtr 05B 69
    Sophia Isaacs age 23 S qtr 1859 05B 63

There are others post the above dates but pre 1837 local records may have other names.

George Isaacs age 3 1839 D qtr 10 55
    John Isaacs age 21 D qtr 10 78
    Thomas Isaacs 1851 age 62 D qtr 10 72
    Edward Isaacs age 2 1854 D qtr 05B 79

There are other records post the above dates.

Cross checking the London Marriage Records for Hyam Isaacs father ( some of the data has been previously posted on this thread it is clear that they refer to Hyam Isaacs green grocer and not Hyam Isaacs glass cutter as per the previous post where states clearly that he had been a glass cutter and made no reference to any other trade:
    Rosetta Isaacs =Thomas Watling 1843
    Elizabeth Stevens widow nee Isaacs 1862
    James Isaacs =Sarah Gable 1849
    Betsey Isaacs =Charles Stephens

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi everyone

I have been corresponding with Phillip through Ancestry where my family tree is located until my account was activated here. My great-great-great-grandfather was George Christian Isaacs, son of Hyam Isaacs (glass cutter and converted Jew) and Amelia Woolf.

I would like to confirm the following nine children of Hyam (b. 5 Mar 1780 in Spitalfields, d. 10 Jul 1847 in Exeter) and Amelia (b. 4 Jan 1785 in Shadwell, d. 18 Dec 1870 in Southampton):

Elizabeth Isaacs (b. 9 Jun 1807 in Spitalfields) m. Joseph Nicholas on 15 Jun 1829 in Southampton - no death found as yet - her husband passed away in 1874 in Southampton. No children.

Isaac Isaacs (b. 4 Dec 1809 in Exeter) - (apart from some newspaper articles indicating he had attacked his father in 1830 as he wouldn't give him money - I don't know what became of him as yet)

Chapman Isaacs (b. 7 Mar 1812 in St Luke - known also as Colin/Coleman, convicted in 1832 and arrived in Tasmania as a convict in 1834. He married Jane Wallis (Wallace) in Melbourne on 8 Apr 1847 and had a couple of children that predeceased him. He died on the 31 Jul 1899 in St Kilda)

George Christian Isaacs (b. 8 Mar 1814 in St Luke) - married Elizabeth Saunders on 23 Dec 1834 in Exeter - they had 4 children (2 that died in infancy). Two lived far longer lives - Charles Edwin Isaacs and Elizabeth Isaacs (my great-great-grandmother). George Christian died 15 Feb 1870 in Exeter (Wonford). He was a hatter.

Emma Isaacs (b. Dec 1815 in Woodford, Essex) - had an illegitimate child (Edwin Isaacs b. 6 May 1840 d. 25 Apr 1842 in Exeter) - Emma died 5 days after the birth of Edwin from complications. Jane Saunders - the mother-in-law of Emma's brother George Christian Isaacs was present at Emma's death.

Emanuel Isaacs (b. 1817 in Reading, Berkshire) - married twice - first to Susan Rye in Exeter in 1839 (had five children - Emanuel (1840), George Hyam (1845), Amelia Elizabeth (1846), Eliza Emma (1849), and George (1851). His wife died in 1852. He then married a Susan Groom in late 1852. After this, I have not yet found where he went/death certificate.

Henry Isaacs (b. 1818 in Poland) - convicted Apr 1838 in Exeter, put on prisoner hulk ship and pardoned at Portsmouth on 6 Jun 1844). Died as a servant in Kensington on 13 May 1850.

Moses Isaacs (b. 1819 in Poland) - convicted Jul 1839 in Exeter, arrived in Hobart on 5 Jul 1842. Died 26 days later in Hobart.

Benjamin Isaacs (b. 1826 in Southampton) - had 10 children with Eliza Paterson (m. 31 Jan 1843, London) and 2 children illegitimately with Laura Elizabeth Amphlett. Changed his name via deed poll to Charles Sinclair around 1855. Died 14 Nov 1890 in Lambeth. After his second child with Laura, they then lived together. Eliza passed away in Nottingham in May 1887. Laura died in 1897 in Lambeth.

Any further information I find, I will post here. It is absolutely certain that other children born to a Hyam Isaacs (grocer/fruit dealer etc.) are no way linked to this Hyam Isaacs. Hyam Isaacs (the grocer/fruit dealer) was born in 1771 (baptised 30 Jun 1771 in London) and died in 1849 in Whitechapel aged 78. If you are indeed reading this, I suggest that you adjust your family trees accordingly.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast