Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Susan/Denise

There is a useful article The Limits of ancestry DNA Tests,explained.Brian Resnick May 23,2019 -site vox.com/science-and -health/2019. The article provides an overview of the DNA tests and what they can and can't do. It is written in user friendly language. There is a very brief reference to Ashkenazi Jews and the effects of the diaspora and close marriage on their DNA.
    There are other articles on the subject elsewhere and on the BG DNA Forum.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Hello Denione, I'm still trying to puzzle out the truth about my ancestry, especially as some recent DNA matches have thrown up some curve balls! I hope you don't mind my asking but of interest, would you happen to know the maiden name of Sara Woolf who was the mother to Amelia, wife of Hyam Isaacs? Many thanks in advance, Susan

Hi Susan, sadly I don’t have any leads on a maiden name for Sarah Woolf. I did read your earlier notes on Arrowsmith but think the dates make it viable. I’m doing some further digging around addresses and land tax records and will post any updates if I discover any relevant info. Denise

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Hi Denise
    First of all many thanks for responding to the thread. A couple of questions, in your research are you aware of the names of the researchers Susan referred to regarding her DNA test. Do you recognise the names?

Are you also aware of any James Isaacs=Sarah Gable or Catherine Isaacs among your lines?

I also noted the various children of Hyam Isaacs=Amelia Woolf and who they married - would it make sense for Susan to cross check these individuals with the DNA of others who share the same families providing they have taken DNA Tests.

Finally, would it make sense for Susan to take the same DNA test as your father to confirm any relationship to you and your father.

Your response to these points would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks again for replying to the thread.
    Apologies for the belated response to this post and my thanks also the DNA insights on Brian Resnick article. Unfortunately I have not come across James or Catherine Isaacs in any of my lines but I will keep in mind if I find a connection later on. Rgds Denise

Hi Denise,
    Many thanks for your response. So far, I have confirmed DNA matches with descendants of Zoseman (Ebenezer/Syes) Isaacs who was the older brother of James Isaacs, and also firm DNA matches with descendants of Frances (Fanny) Isaacs, his older sister. I have found through DNA matching that I have a lot of so-called "cousins" with the surname Woolf/Wolf/Wolfe and I've discovered that James Isaacs' wife Sarah Gable was a witness at a wedding in which the groom's surname was Wolfe, but I can't so far find any evidence that they were related. These are the reasons I questioned whether Amelia Woolf could have been the mother of my great-great grandfather James Isaacs.
    Apparently James Isaacs' mother was called Catherine, "living in Shadwell". There is an entry in the 1851 census of a widow called "Mrs Isaacs" who was living alone in Shadwell, it says she was born in Shadwell, and 10 years later there was a widow called Amelia Isaacs living alone in Southampton, it also gives her place of birth as Shadwell, so it seems likely that these both refer to the same person. This led me to wonder if Amelia Isaacs(née Woolf) and "Catherine" could be one and the same person? I've seen people here writing about people having a Jewish name that is different from the name they are known by, is it possible this could be the case?
    More to ponder on. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but it's a thought.
    Have a good day!
    Kind regards,
    Susan

Hi all
    My name is David Arthur Sinclair and it seems I have a connection to this family line as my father was Arthur David William Sinclair and was born in Lambeth Walk in the early 1920's and was the eldest of 8 children born to the Sinclair's, my cousin is trying to trace our family tree and has found a strong connection to the Issac line before the name was changed, any further info would be a great help.
    Regards
    David

Good morning David,
    Have you or your cousin done the Ancestry DNA test? If so, this could provide some of the answers, although as I'm finding, answers lead to further questions! If you've not already done, why don't you do it and then let's compare notes?
    Kind regards,
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by SusanLorraine View Post
    Good morning David,
    Have you or your cousin done the Ancestry DNA test? If so, this could provide some of the answers, although as I'm finding, answers lead to further questions! If you've not already done, why don't you do it and then let's compare notes?
    Kind regards,
    Susan
    Good Morning Susan
    No DNA test as yet but happy to do this, do we just contact Ancestry for a kit?
    David

Hi David,
    Yes, just go to www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/ and you can order the kit. The test is very easy to do and after you've sent it off, you get the results back in about 4-6 weeks.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Kind regards,
    Susan

I don't know if anyone can help with this..... my great-great grandfather James Isaacs from Bethnal Green Spitalfields area apparently had a mother called Catherine who may have lived in Shadwell, but I can't find any trace of her or where she came from. She was married to James' father, Hyam Isaacs, a greengrocer, and I've confirmed DNA links to descendants of James Isaacs older brother Zoseman Isaacs and his sister, Frances. James had other siblings Henry, Betsy and Rosetta. I've seen on someone else's family tree that James' mother may have been called Catherine Levy and her father may have been called Lieb Levy, but I've found no documentation whatsoever to substantiate this. I was wondering if anyone who has access to Jewish ancestral records could find out more about this? I wouldn't know where to begin.... Many thanks for any help anyone can offer. Susan

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast