Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

This is important data posted by Matt. In #138 the statement by Hyam that he was a glass cutter,virtually blind and an itinerant preacher travelling widely in Europe and the UK ( note Poland as a birth place for some of the children)confirms he was not a fishmonger or grocer. In addition, Matt found the newspaper article where Hyam referred to nine children.
    As Matt says the family trees which have Hyam as fishmonger or grocer are wrong and the lines need re-visiting.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Susan,

I hope you do not mind me jumping on this thread. I think I am related to James Isaacs born 1826. Do you mind if I double-check with you, did you come to the conclusion that James Isaac was the son of Hyam Isaacs and Catherine Levy? There is a family story that my grandmother's family has some Jewish ancestry, but it descends from her father who she did not know well as he died in the first war. Again, I hope you do not mind me jumping in on all of your hard work.

Kind regards,

Craig

Default Temperance Agombar

Quote Originally Posted by SusanLorraine View Post
    Hello Denione, I'm still trying to puzzle out the truth about my ancestry, especially as some recent DNA matches have thrown up some curve balls! I hope you don't mind my asking but of interest, would you happen to know the maiden name of Sara Woolf who was the mother to Amelia, wife of Hyam Isaacs? Many thanks in advance, Susan
    Susan, I hope I’m now connecting to you on this site having registered.
    My husband’s tree is also connected to Temperance Agombar and James Arrowsmith and the marriage of their daughter Sarah to Benjamin Wolfe. I’m also have been searching for over fifteen years for Jewish ancestors, having the story in the family that there were Portuguese
    Jewish ancestors.

However, I’ve come to the conclusion (may be incorrectly) that Sarah Arrowsmith marries Benjamin Wolfe in 1795 - also the name Wolfe is spelt differently to the Amelia Woolf that married Hyam Isaacs in Bevis Marks Synagogue. in 1805. This would have meant that Amelia was only 10years old. So I’m. it seeing proof of the Jewish connection.
    However, I’ve found other members of the Agombar/Agambar family who had converted and married Jews, one as late as 1953 at West London Synagogue and I have proof of her conversion.
    There certainly is a Jewish connection somewhere.

Susan,
    Did you see my comment on these pages about the marriage of Hyam Isaacs and Amelia WOLFE. My husband is related to Temperance Agombar and I’ve been searching for Jewish ancestors for fifteen years now. The family story is that there is a history of Portuguese Jews somewhere in the family (related to me by an old 90yr old aunt) and I have indeed found a few Agombars that have married into Jewish families. The latest one being in 1953 and I have her conversion details.

As for the Isaacs/Wolfe marriage, the Wolfe is spelt differently to the Amelia/Hyam Isaacs on the Bevis Marks Wedding. I would be interested in any comments you have please. Many thanks

I contributed to this thread and a previous one and for clarity the Agambar aka Agombar surname appears in the Jewish Chronicle April 11, 1952 concerning the engagement between Ivor Isaacs youngest son of Mr and Mrs M Isaacs 104 Victoria Park Road Hackney to Dorothy youngest daughter of the late Mr and Mrs T F AGAMBAR Essex Road Islington. Further data appears on JewishGen regarding the later marriage of Ivor and Dorothy at the West London Synagogue.
    The Isaacs line is through Michael Isaacs father of Ivor.
    There is an early 1931 advertisement by Mrs Agombar 31 Provence Street Islington offering renovation of furniture.
    These are the only records on the JC relating to the name Agombar/Agambar.

With regard to Sephardic records there are Bevis Marks records including Births, marriage, death, circumcision. I have not checked for the Agombar/Agambar name in these records but it is highly possible that the family links to Sephardic roots are accurate.

You might want to post more early data on the names that you have researched because you say you have data to confirm Jewish links to your lines.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Hi Craig, I'm sorry for not responding sooner, I've been busy with work and not logged into any of my ancestry accounts for some time. James Isaacs, son of Hyam Isaacs and Catherine Levy, was my great-great grandfather. His daughter Sarah was my father's grandmother. I'd be interested to know where you fit into the family tree! Kind regards, Sue

Hi, sorry for not responding sooner. Through DNA matching I have discovered that my original assumption about my being related to Temporance Agombar was incorrect. My family tree does have some connections to the Agombar Family, I only know this due to some research a distant cousin has been conducting, however, I've not looked at the evidence so I'd need to dig deeper to see how it all fits.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Susan, My reply is even later, Covid happened and I had an illness in the family. As far as I can tell I am related to James Isaacs son of Hyman, through James's daughter Jane Isaacs. I think Jane is my great great grandmother. I have only discovered this through ancestry as my Great Grandfather (son of Jane) died in the first world war a year after my grandmother was born, and so his family story was lost.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415