Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Bulawayo births and marriages

Hi all
    Hope I'm doing this correctly. I would like to find a birth certificate for my dad who was born in Bulawayo in 1930. His parents were married in 1929 also in Bulawayo, but I can't find anything on line on the numerous sites I've been on.
    His parents are Josephine Scholefield born 1908 and Patrick D'Arcy Forde born either 1909 or 1903 depending on bits of paperwork i have. Their marriage was "shotgun"I think!
    My father was Michael Anthony Forde born 19.08.1930.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Sue

Hi
    Have you looked at the 1939 register on FMP? Because of their T and C's I can only tell you the info gained from a free search which is that there is an alternative surname of Berry for him and searching for other Fordes in the same area doesn't turn up any.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Thank you Christina
    I think you've probably found my tree and postings. He changed his name to his adoptive fathers just before he married my mum.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Sue,

I've done a bit of searching without coming up without anything positive apart from the fact that it would seem all civil registration stuff is held by the Archives in Harare,
    https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Zim...orical_Records)
    ('What is in this collection')

although FamilySearch seems to have changed the records holder in this statement (In fairness, it is qualified by the author saying that they don't know how up to date the information is.)

"and that birth and death certificates are held by the Home Affairs main office in Harare"
    (scroll down to Southern Rhodesia/Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, and then to 'Family Search')
    https://www.
    geni.com/projects/Rhodesia-and-Nyasaland-Zambia-Zimbabwe-Malawi-%25E2%2580%2593-Genealogical-Reference-Centre/9080

Googling for 'Home Affairs Office Harare' and then searching the departments dropdown menu found me this
    https://www.rg.gov.zw/
    However there's some very dodgy clickable links (found by hovering my cursor over them, and caused, according to my computer, by me using a BT internet link) so take care what you click on when reading the 'birth and death certificates' page.
    There is a 'contact us' link which might be a better place to start.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

pardon me asking - is Patrick D'Arcy Forde a different person to Hilary John Patrick D'Arcy Forde ? not that this helps with your quest, I was just curious.

Settling in

Thank you for all your help. Hilary is the same person. But I can't find anything with his full name. He was known by Patrick D'Arcy. Apparently sometimes just D'Arcy or Paddy. I suppose it depends who he was trying to impress.

Hilary John Patrick D'Arcy Forde is the name on his christening record on Family Search (transcription only, no image)

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    Hilary John Patrick D'Arcy Forde is the name on his christening record on Family Search (transcription only, no image)
    FMP has the image. Search British India Office Ecclesiastical Returns -Births and Baptisms.

Peter

Settling in

I have all his birth details and his parents marriage details. It his marriage and his sons birth I'm looking for. Paddy was born in India and his parents were married there. I don't know why they were there though.
    I'm beginning to wonder if he did actually marry!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue1957 View Post
    I have all his birth details
    apologies - when you said in message #6 : "I can't find anything with his full name" i.e. Patrick's full name, I assumed you hadn't seen his India baptism record which presumably does have his full name on it (otherwise Ancestry, Find My Past and Family Search wouldn't know that that was his full name).

As to why Hilary/Patrick's parents were in India, doesn't their marriage record indicate an occupation for the bridegroom ?

I appreciate none of this is helping with your Bulawayo enquiries. I should imagine that Zimbabwe is a particularly difficult country to extract information from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast