ste62b

Default Apprenticeship start and finish dates.

Hi there

I have been studying the UK, Registers of duties for apprenticeships 1710-1811 on Ancestry, and pretty much got most of it worked out. The one thing that is getting me is the dates on the right side of the first page. Do you know if this date is relating to the start or the finish of the apprenticeship. This is in relation to Thomas Bertenshaw taking on George Seddon where the date given is 14 July 1757. Felt making was 7 years from start to completion.

Thanks

Steve

The National Archives guide may be of some help. Here

Scrolling down the page it says "The payment could be made at the start of the apprenticeship or any time up to one year after the expiry of the indenture."
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

ste62b

Default Apprenticeship start and finish dates.

Hi christanel

Thomas would receive from the father of his apprentice a payment of £5.00, which was subject to a tax of 6d in the pound, payable by a collector to the Commissioner of Stamps for the inland revenue.

In Thomas Bertenshaw case the tax was 2s 6d for each apprentice. In the case of George Seddon this payment was received by the commissioners on 2 August 1757. I am wondering therefore what date 14 July 1757 refers too. .
    Thanks