Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Default John Bodger to USA

I wonder if anyone could help me with John Bodger.

John was born in Cheddon Fitzpaine, Somerset in 1846. He married Susan (Susie) Marks in the 1860's.

In 1891 John set off to America, I think I have him on a ship as a gardener, looks more like John Rodger but I think it is him.

In 1893 wife Susie and children (Annie, Louise, Walter, John, Ellen, Thomas) followed John.

1900 census shows John a widow, state California, County Ventura. (When did Susan die?)

By 1910 I think he is in Los Angeles with a new wife Helen who is quite a bit younger, from Pennsylvania parents German.

Is this my John Bodger?

Can anyone find a marriage for John and Helen.

I have son Tom Marks Bodgers WW1 draft card.

But I am now starting to find snippets about John Bodger Los Angeles Seed Merchant, did he make good. Was this him, seems like he really did well if it was.

If anyone else can follow him and his family and see what they think I would be grateful.

All my info and images have come from familysearch.

Thank you

Mrs P

There's an incoming passenger list from New York to Southampton for the Aquitania (Cunard) arr Southampton 18th April 1921

John BODGER aged 75, seed grower, and wife Helen aged 58, travelling first class, bound for Savoy Hotel, London

There's a public tree on Ancestry, which would need checking, that states that Susan died in 1898 and that John married Helen BECKER on 9 October 1903 in Los Angeles. John was apparently described on the marriage licence as a native of England and a resident of Santa Paula, and Helen as a native of Pennsylvania and a resident of Long Beach.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

That is great, thank you.

Sounds spot on and the passenger list confirms he was a seed grower.

I shall subscribe for a month and get the details of the tree meanwhile I will follow up the leads you have given me regarding the marriage and Susan's death.

Wonder if it was business or if he was coming back to see family.

Mrs P

Yes, I've found the affidavit for the marriage license on FS. Great Stuff.

Mrs P

Amazing what a nudge in the right direction will lead to ......

The free California Newspapers - CDNC have a wonderful article entitled 'Seven grown children all clamor (sic) for a stepmother - they persuade John Bodger to fall in love with comely widow Becker'. There is a great photo of her in all her finery. (Los Angeles Herald 1903)

Found lots out about the children. Only one eluding me William James Bodger born in 1866. He is with his father in 1900 US census says married. On his own in 1910 says Widowed, on his own in 1920 says divorced. He went out to America in 1889 so he was actually the first of the family to go I think. Cannot find him going or getting married/widowed or divorced or death.

Mrs P

I have also since found their passport photo's when they are much older on Family Search.