Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    That's not true.
    If I had PM elsinore(Peter) and said PM the information you have found to geoff no one would have know would they.
    Are all of our PM inspected by someone (Big brother is watching us)

Geoff1959

Thank you everyone.
    I joined FMP for a month and got the info I was looking for.

Just to make you aware. Private messages are just that. They cannot be read by anyone except the sender and the recipient - unless either of them shows it to someone else.
    As for sending copied and pasted information through private messaging - even though I think this is technically against the terms and conditions of the subscription site it was stolen from - well, your own conscience must be your guide. If you simply type out the information yourself then you might as well put it into the thread and let everyone see it.

All hobbies cost money, I have said this before and what we all tend to forget is just how much money the subscription sites have forked out for equipment and permissions, not to mention wages for transcribers and scanners and coders, before we even get a sniff of the records they have available. If you want it to be "free" then the course of action you must take is to visit all the repositories and do the looking up yourself. You might not pay for the information but you still have travelling costs and parking fees and such. I weighed it all up and then subscribed to the sites and I for one will be sticking to the rules.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

A fountain of knowledge

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with LK's post above.

Well I would -wouldn't I? I have 12 Staff in front of me at this very moment transcribing various things, all of whoms continued employment (and presumably also my own) depends on the 'product' they make being financially feasible.

Certainly 'sharing' of data that is commercially supplied will reduce the number of records 'out there' over time, it will certainly make those records that are harder to read/interpret/license and source far more likely not to be done in future.

Those who have easy access to archives and unlimited time may not see that as a particular problem, but anyone who cannot personally visit and don't have the expertise to interpret these documents will lose out -permanently.
    There is also the issue with many archives and museums that they don't have unlimited storage space or cash to keep items -I know of one significant collection that went to landfill last year and another that runs the very real risk of going the same way in the near future for this reason alone, the less commercially viable these records are the more likely they will be lost for good -as no one else will justify the costs of storage either.

So, the message is clear, everyone needs to respect that if the source is a commercial one you should carefully check their own T&Cs before sharing data gained with anyone.

I have no issue with members sharing information that is allowed provided these checks have been made.

janbooth

Alfred SERLE baptised at Morice Street Wesleyan, Devonport on 6 June 1825 (born 5/6 Dec 1815), parents William & Mary SERLE, Shoemaker. No actual baptism that I can see either on FMP or Ancestry for an Alfred in Kingsand c1815. I can also only find one Alfred SERLE in census records for 1851 onwards. Given that we have no census records for the SERLE family prior to 1851 and the baptisms of both Alfred & Lavinia are late baptisms, we don't really know where William & Mary were living with any certainty at that time.

Janet

I think this 1841 census record is for a family of Serle's, it has been indexed on Ancestry as HILL and I'd be interested to know others' opinions. All are shoemakers, born in Devon.
    HO107; Piece:272; Book: 3; Folio: 32; Page: 58
    Pembroke Lane Stoke Damerel.
    William Hill 25
    Alfred Hill 25
    Edwin Hill 20
    Geo Hill 15
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

I can see why it has been transcribed as Hill although when you know what it should be it is reasonably clear. There is a random dot or mark near the first 'l' which makes it look like Hill.

I see they are living with a Francis and Ann Knight - landlord/landlady or relations?

Emeltee

janbooth

What a brilliant spot, Alma! To me the surname definitely looks like SERLE and we know that William & Mary SERLE had children William born c1812, Alfred born c1815 & George born c1822 - so where were parents William & Mary??

Janet

Thank you, Emeltee and Janet. It's always helpful to know when others see what I see

I keep dashing backwards and forwards to my laptop as I'm also getting ready to meet an appointment.

Has anything been found previously on Edwin Serle?
    Alma

janbooth

Of course, we think that Mary SERLE died in 1827 but William snr was still alive in 1851 so should be around somewhere in 1841. There is an Edwin SEARLE/SERLE born c1820/3 in census records of Stoke Damerel from 1851 onwards, married to a Jane, and in the 1851 census record his eldest son is named William - perhaps the one in the 1841 census record that Alma has found for you but his occupation is now a Labourer.

Janet

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast