Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Frederick John McKay

I've been looking for what happened to Frederick John Mckay for about 20 years!

He was born in 1867 in St. Pancras, London and was recorded as being married in Mutford, Suffolk to Sarah Flora Knights, in 1890. That is the last record I have of him.
    Sarah appears in 1891 with her new born son, but no husband. After this she had more children and for each child, stated that Frederick John was the father, even when living with another - John Goffin.

I assume that Frederick John McKay must have been alive until at least 1901 using this evidence. But I can't find him anywhere!

Help!

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a death record for a Frederick McKay in Camberwell, (South London) in 1937, aged 71, so born about 1866, which would fit. January quarter Volume 1D Page 1032.

However, there were two Frederick McKay births registered at the about the same time which could also fit: one in in Leeds in 1865 and one in Brentford in 1869. Note in the 1911 Census there is a Frederick J McKay listed as being born in 1870 in Westminster, Middlesex, and whilst Brentford is not Westminster, it is Middlesex, and I can't see a birth registration in Westminster.

He was born in 1867 in St. Pancras, London and was recorded as being married in Mutford, Suffolk to Sarah Flora Knights, in 1890. That is the last record I have of him
    Hi Margaret and welcome to Brit - Gen Please can you say how you know Frederick John Mckay was born in St Pancras?

If you have a copy of his marriage certificate can you post the details: his occupation, father's name and occupation, and witnesses names.
    Alma

Hello Megan,

Thank you for looking for me. I'll take a further look at the death record, and others you suggested. I didn't give all the details in my initial post.
    I have the birth certificate for Frederick John McKay (assuming I have the correct one of course). His father was Alexander McKay, a coach smith, born in Scotland and his mother Emma Jane Bath born in Vernham-Dean, Hampshire.
    Frederick John Mckay married in Suffolk as I said, into a fishing community, really Great Yarmouth. Norfolk and Suffolk overlap a bit for Gorleston. I've been assuming that he was around in Norfolk, but maybe he went back to London.

It's his son Frederick Daniel McKay who was my grand father.

The birth registration: England and Wales Birth Registration index.volume 1B page 46, line Number 337

Reputation beyond repute

Margaret

The marriage certificate should show his father's name and occupation which will help you to confirm that you have the right birth certificate. You shouldn't be guessing about the birth certificate.

Hello almach,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm slowly finding my way around the site?
    I have the marriage certificate for Frederick John and Sarah Flora. He was a fisherman. His father was Alexander McKay, a coach smith. Sarah Flora was the daughter of a fisherman, Samuel Knights. The witnesses were Alfred Knapp and Eliza Deane. I think Eliza was the sister of Sarah Flora.
    Since I knew the name of Frederick John's father I think I searched and found a possible match in London. On reflexion, maybe that was a step too far?
    I really know nothing about Alexander. The occupation of coach smith made me think that he maybe worked on the railways. It was time of railway building in London at the time I think?

Anyway, now I think I've been going in the wrong direction all this time!

Hello Peter,

I have a birth certificate for Frederick John McKay, which gives the father's name as Alexander, a coach smith. But I realise that this may not be the correct Frederick John McKay. I found him, using the name Alexander and year of birth as stated on his marriage certificate.

That's good Margaret, thank you. This is a hurried reply as I'm multi - tasking, preparing an evening meal and popping in here.

Do you have this baptism?

Name: Frederick John McKay, coach smith
    Record Type: Baptism
    Baptism Date: 12 May 1867
    Father's name: Alexander McKay
    Mother's name: Emma McKay
    Parish or Poor Law Union: St Pancras St Saviour
    Borough: Camden
    Register Type: Parish Registers
    Abode: 3,Princes St
    Alma

Yes, I do have that. It was Alexander who was the coach smith. But I'm asking myself now if I have the correct Frederick John. It all hinges on that. I'm only really sure of the information based on the marriage certificate I realise.

Anyway, now I think I've been going in the wrong direction all this time!
    Margaret, why do you think that?

You have the birth certificate for Frederick Daniel Mckay which names his mother as Sarah Knight(s)? and father Frederick John Mckay. You then worked methodically and sent for a marriage certificate between FJM and SK, I therefore think you are going in the right direction

I am strapped for time just now, however I'm sure now you've given more information that others will be along to help. I'll look by later to see how the search is progressing.
    Alma

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast