Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hi Margaret,

I don't know whether you've seen this 1891 census return and thought it worth mentioning.

Alexander Mckay age 50, coach smith, born Scotland. RG12; Piece: 460; Folio: 87; Page: 3;

He's an inmate in 'St. Annes Streatham Wandsworth', the enumerator's notes describe it as Workhouse (auxiliary of St Pancras)
    Alma

No I hadn't seen that. Thank you. Anything which mentions 'coach smith' is worth following I think.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Ancestry have a record of a 22 year old Alexander McKay a smith being admitted to Camden workhouse 3 Sep 1864. This was in the parish of St. Pancras.

There are numerous workhouse records for men named Alexander Mckay in the 19th century in London, not all of whom will be your Alexander.

Thanks anyway! I'm just re-reading all the comments to put things together a bit more!

Lots of McKays in the Workhouse it seems. Just as well I wasn't searching for fame!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

For reference:
    Thread about Alexander McKay, father of Frederick John -
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...Frederick-John

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default Frederick John McKay

I've been looking for information about Frederick John McKay for more than 20 years now. After abandoning him for a while I'm going to try again! He married Sarah Flora Ann Knights in April 1890 in Gorleston and fathered at least one child, my grand father Frederick Daniel McKay in November 1890. I have not been able to find any trace of him since then. He was a fisherman. There are more details of him on a previous Brickwall thread and so I haven't repeated them here. His father was Alexander McKay born in Scotland. Alexander was a Coach Smith.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

We do not allow more than one thread about a person because it causes confusion and duplicated research, so I have moved your 'bump' re Frederick to your previous thread about him. It will also enable people to read what has already been found/not found about him.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you. Sorry I'd forgotten that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234