Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thank you!

I'm going to look at all the stuff I know, first hand as it were, and come back!

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

a possible for Alexander ? edit.....just realised he is single? ah well.

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census

First name(s) Alexander
    Last name McKay
    Relationship Inmate
    Marital status Single
    Gender Male
    Age 50
    Birth year 1841
    Occupation Coach Smith
    Birth town -
    Birth county -
    Birth place Scotland
    Birth place other as transcribed SCOTLAND
    Street -
    Town -
    Parish Streatham
    City Wandsworth
    County London
    Registration district Wandsworth
    Archive reference RG12
    Piece number 460
    Folio 87
    Page 3
    Record set 1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Brick wall demolition expert!

On the marriage certificate for Frederick and Sarah where does it say that Frederick was living?

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    On the marriage certificate for Frederick and Sarah where does it say that Frederick was living?
    He was living in Gorleston and was a fisherman. I had assumed up to now, that he had taken up residence there to conform to the time needed to be in residence for saying the Banns.

As I said it was a fishing community, many of whom migrated to the west coast of Wales - Milford Haven, in 1900. It is here that the wife of Frederick John McKay is to be found with John Goffin and numerous children.

Thank you. I'll look at that more closely!

Knowledgeable and helpful

I wonder why young Frederick Daniel is with his grandmother in 1901 and not in Milford Haven with the rest of the family. Sarah was still registering her children as Mckay although Gertrude and Gladys, the first two born in Milford Haven, had Goffin as a middle name.

Another interesting fact is that on the 1911 Census Sarah states that she has been married for 20 years however she didn't marry John Goffin untill Mar 1911 Haverfordwest 11a 1639 and when she did she married as Sarah Knights.

I wonder if Frederick went missing at sea? Can't find him on the deaths at sea though.

Emeltee

Brick wall demolition expert!

Sarah and the Goffins obviously took off to Pembrokeshire in 1899, based on where the children's births were registered. Did they go there to get away from Frederick?

Gertrude was the first to be registered in Pembrokeshire, and according to the GRO index she was registered as Gertrude May Goffen McKay, whose mother's maiden name was Goffen!

Gladys whose birth was registered 3 years later has her mother's maiden name recorded as Knights, and she was registered as a Mckay.

I couldn't find a registration for Lily in 1903. From Agnes onwards who was registered in in 1905 the births were registered in the name Goffin, so presumably those certificates show John Goffin as their father and/or that their mother was Sarah Goffin formerly Knights?

By the way did you know that in 1896 a Francis Goffin married a Clara Knights in Smallburgh, Norfolk? Do you think that they were all related?

I wonder why young Frederick Daniel is with his grandmother in 1901 and not in Milford Haven with the rest of the family.
    I have seen that scenario many times , and wonder if the mother's new partner/husband wasn't very kind to his partner's previous child, or the said child felt an outsider within his mother's new relationship and chose to live with his birth family i.e. grandparents.
    Alma

Margaret, all your research back to Alexander Mckay appears to be backed up starting from the birth certificate of Frederick Daniel Mckay which names his parents as Sarah Knights and Frederick John Mckay; next the marriage certificate of Sarah Knights and Frederick John Mckay which names his father as Alexander, a coachman.

I have seen the census returns for Frederick John Mckay's parents, I'm assuming you've seen them too, but if not do shout and I'll post them to the thread.

Initially I had concerns as to why a chap from St Pancras would become a fisherman in the Norfolk/Suffolk borders, unless he moved there as a youngster! But, you have documented evidence to back it up, unless there was another TJM, born same time with father Alexander which does seem unlikely, but though improbable, not impossible!
    Alma

Hello Emeltee,

Thank you for your help.

I think Frederick Daniel must have been unwanted when his mother set up house with John Goffin. The fact that she was still registering the father as Frederick John McKay, even in Milford Haven, makes me think that Frederick John must have been still alive at the time.
    I haven't seen the 1911 census in full. I've looked for a long time for the death of Frederick John, in vain. She must have divorced or waited a certain time before marrying again? She certainly must have lied to the authorities.

Frederick Daniel was my grandfather, but I hardly knew him. He died when I was young. And even though Sarah Flora was still alive and in the same town as us, my father never mentioned her. I only discovered her existence when I started looking into the family!

Margaret

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast