Death in Victoria
    # 3840

FURLONG, Frederick

Father: Frederick Ge

Mother: Eliza (Phipps)

Place of birth: LOND

Age 50

Spouse: BORGSTROM, Martha Johannah Caroline

Good heavens, differing versions of the same marriage. You enjoyed putting the cat among the pigeons admit it Alma.

George Furnong Or Furlong Plummer
    Age - 21
    Born 1800
    Marriage - 15 Jun 1821
    Marriage Place - Hartford, England
    Spouse - Eliza Phipp
    FHL Film Number - 413266

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Good heavens, differing versions of the same marriage. You enjoyed putting the cat among the pigeons admit it Alma.
    Christina
    Ha ha, maybe a teeny weeny bit

If you look at the original marriage in the parish register it says 'George Furlong Plummer of this parish' and 'Eliza Phipp of Hertford'. They were married by licence but I've not found the licence online. I'm struggling to read the witness names, though one may be ???????? Gardner or Gardener and the other hmm, perhaps George Smith???
    Alma

Well, I've managed to confuse myself and most likely others! Steve, do you know for certain that George Frederick was his name as the death info supplied by Dundee at #11 just says Frederick but names his father Frederick George, also how sure are you that he lived in Portsea, could he have lived there but not been born there?

1841, Chandos St Portsea Town. HO107; Piece: 414; Book: 7; Folio: 29; Page: 13;
    George Furlong 40, ship carpenter
    Eliza Furlong 40
    Joseph Furlong 20
    Georgina Furlong 15
    George Furlong 14
    Caroline Furlong 11
    Kate Furlong 4

George Frederick was born 1828, and could be the George above in 1841 census.
    Name: George Frederic Furlong
    Birth Date: 26 May 1828
    Baptism Date: 17 Apr 1831
    Baptism Place: Saint Marys,Portsea,Hampshire,England
    Father: George Furlong
    Mother: Eliza

Your ancestor married Nov 1851 in Cape Town; the 1851 census was taken Mar 30th. I had thought he was cutting it fine to be in the UK end of March and married in SA in Nov, however I then found another baptism which could fit the George in 1851 census and he could have been living independant of his family in 1841, if so, George in 1841 may have gone to SA any time between 1841 - 51, all these George's, Frederick's, George Frederick's, Frederick George's are confusing!

Here's the other baptism
    Name George Furlong
    Gender Male
    Christening Date 31 Mar 1823
    Christening Place St. Mary's, Portsea, Hampshire, England
    Father's Name George Furlong
    Mother's Name Eliza Furlong
    Alma

If the London marriage for Eliza Phipps is the right one I doubt the census and baptisms found in Hampshire are yours. The Hampshire George and Eliza have a daughter Caroline REEVES Furlong, I therefore conclude the Furlong/Reeves marriage is theirs. Perhaps your Frederick George's parents moved to SA along with their children before 1841!

Do you have any other information which may help us to help you, Steve? Did Frederick George and Martha Borgstrom have more than one child, if so do you have their names?
    Alma

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    If the London marriage for Eliza Phipps is the right one I doubt the census and baptisms found in Hampshire are yours. The Hampshire George and Eliza have a daughter Caroline REEVES Furlong, I therefore conclude the Furlong/Reeves marriage is theirs. Perhaps your Frederick George's parents moved to SA along with their children before 1841!

Do you have any other information which may help us to help you, Steve? Did Frederick George and Martha Borgstrom have more than one child, if so do you have their names?
    Fred G F married Martha in Sth Afr. in Cape Town 10 Nov 1851. They had son in Cape Town then moved to Ballarat where they had Peter F 1863-1906, John Horatio F (my G gf) 1865-1904, Emily F 1868-?, Horatio F 1870-? and Lousia F 1872-?
    Are you connected to the Furlong family? If so how and where do you live?

Thanks
    Steve F

Settling in

Yes all these names soo much the same. Then they had more over here using the same names..................Why!!?? No imagination?
    George F F I thought was born else where but not certain. I also had him listed as a Police officer and part of the Bow St Runners/Boys.
    Nothing from the UK or Sth Afr. is confirmed and with information so hard to gain from them in Sth Afr. I am not sure of anything.

Steve F

Dundee10

Do you have any of the children's Victorian birth certificates? They would also give a birthplace for Frederick.

A Frederick FURLONG aged 15 years 4 months was indentured into the Merchant Navy at the port of London in October 1841. The vessel was the Champion, Master Thomas ROUNCE.

Quote Originally Posted by stavro View Post
    I also had him listed as a Police officer and part of the Bow St Runners/Boys.
    Where does this come from? Frederick would have been too young so if it was anyone, it would have been his father.

Are you connected to the Furlong family? If so how and where do you live?
    No Steve, I have no connection to the Furlong family. My input is information found to try and help your search,
    Alma

Settling in

Ok, thanks for your help. It could very well two different families???? It is possible that GF & Eliza F moved to Portsea as aLondon connection is in the air. I have a cuz in Brisbane from another line also looking and she thinks they married and lived in London then may have retired down in Portsea?
    So many questions.
    Where do I apply for certificates and can I view them before buying?
    Is it also hard for the English to get certificates from Sth Africa? It's almost impossible here in Oz.

Steve F

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast