Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jesse Musselwhite (Mussellwhite) 1779

Hi.

I'm searching for the ancestors of Jesse Musselwhite, born in 1779 and married in Alverstoke, Hants on Dec. 15 1799 to Ann Headden. Info from the marriage certificate from St. Mary's, Alverstoke, Gosport. Spelling on the certificate is "Mussellwhite". Jesse and Ann moved to London shortly after their marriage where he was listed as a "cow keeper/milkman" in the census records, so I think it's likely that this was his occupation in Hampshire. I have very good documentation after 1800.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John

Brick wall demolition expert!

There are very few mentions of the name Musselwhite / Mussellwhite in the Alverstoke parish record so I think it would be a reasonable starting point to work on the basis that those that are listed are connected.

In 1768 Francis, a widower married Ursula White, who died in 1807. It is a possibility that they were Jesse's parents. Died he have any children named Francis or Ursula, as that is often a clue?

I realise that you are in Canada so it may not be practical, but if you can find where the actual parish records are held and find someone who will look at them for you, they may hold a clue that the transcriptions have overlooked. Sometimes the parish priests would write notes in the margins, but unfortunately in many cases they don't particularly where poorer families are concerned.

Default Jesse Musselwhite (Mussellwhite) 1779

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    There are very few mentions of the name Musselwhite / Mussellwhite in the Alverstoke parish record so I think it would be a reasonable starting point to work on the basis that those that are listed are connected.
    I suspect that other English relatives have attempted to search the records at St. Mary's, though I don't know that for a fact. If there are others I'd like to see that

In 1768 Francis, a widower married Ursula White, who died in 1807. It is a possibility that they were Jesse's parents. Died he have any children named Francis or Ursula, as that is often a clue?
    Francis would have been 12 when Jesse was born so it's not too likely. His children had common names at the time... Mary, Ann, John, Henry etc. The one exception was "Jabez", a name that keeps showing up in subsequent generations. It's possible that "Jabez" could have been his father's name. Jabez was Jesse's last son and 9th child.

I realise that you are in Canada so it may not be practical, but if you can find where the actual parish records are held and find someone who will look at them for you, they may hold a clue that the transcriptions have overlooked. Sometimes the parish priests would write notes in the margins, but unfortunately in many cases they don't particularly where poorer families are concerned.
    I shall be visiting the UK within the next year or so and it's on my list of things to do.

Thanks!

John

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I feel sure that Calgary must have an LDS Family History Centre so you could order in the film(s) of the parish registers to view.
    I'll leave to decide which ones you need.
    https://familysearch.org/search/cata...tory%20Library

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

janbooth

Do you have his Will, John, and if so does it give any clues such as bequests to siblings. Although he died on 11 September 1849, his Will was left unadministered by his widow Ann and was therefore not probated until 28 October 1869 by his son William.

I can't find any trace of him prior to his marriage so far but will keep looking.

Janet

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM in Canada View Post

Francis would have been 12 when Jesse was born so it's not too likely.

I have to disagree with you.

The event in 1768 was a marriage not a birth. In fact it was Francis's second marriage. So it is possible that Francis was Jesse's father.

Calgary does have a Family History Centre and I used it quite extensively when I first started genealogy 20+ years ago. I didn't find anything like Musselwhite other than Jesse's marriage in the parish records I got from them. This is why I suspect that he came from another part of Hampshire.

His wife, Ann Headden was born in 1774 in "The Wallops", which could mean any of the three villages (Over, Middle and Nether) or perhaps a farm near them five years before Jesse was born. This could lead to several speculations but I haven't found anything concrete as of yet.

John

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It's always worth checking out what the local (in this case, Hampshire) Family History Society offer in the way of indexes. (When you live long-distance away from the county Record Office/Archive indexes are very cost-effective.)
    Hampshire seems to do things the same way as Lincolnshire FHS which is a 'time-block' of baptisms, or marriages, or burials for the whole county (not including the Isle of Wight). Other counties tend to do the complete PRs for one parish at a time which is useless if your family kept moving. All the baptisms in the county for between say 1760 and 1800 is much more useful.
    While checking out the Hampshire FHS site I saw this https://www.
    hgs-familyhistory.com/2016/11/new-partnership-hgs/
    If you click on 'shop' in the banner you'll see a link to the CDs they sell.

ADDED: You might want to consider that the family could have been non-conformists at one time. I'm sure I've read of cases where people did change from CofE to non-conformists for a few years before going back to CofE.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

janbooth

I have found 2 marriages at Alverstoke for what are likely to be members of the previous generation of MUSSELWHITE's, namely the marriage on 27 October 1768 for Francis MUSSELLWHITE that Megan has already found for you and a marriage on 16 October 1761 for an Ann MUSLEWHITE to a Roger SHERENHAM.

I note that the children of Jesse & Ann were all baptised as non-conformist, i.e. Protestant Dissenters at St Mary Lambeth for the most part except for daughter Mary who was baptised at Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, Surrey Chapel, Blackfriar's Road, so perhaps you may have to concentrate more on non-conformist records when looking for the baptism of Jesse. These records show Ann MUSSELWHITE as the daughter of John HEADDON of Over Wallop, Farmer.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    I have found 2 marriages at Alverstoke for what are likely to be members of the previous generation of MUSSELWHITE's, namely the marriage on 27 October 1768 for Francis MUSSELLWHITE that Megan has already found for you and a marriage on 16 October 1761 for an Ann MUSLEWHITE to a Roger SHERENHAM.

I note that the children of Jesse & Ann were all baptised as non-conformist, i.e. Protestant Dissenters at St Mary Lambeth for the most part except for daughter Mary who was baptised at Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, Surrey Chapel, Blackfriar's Road, so perhaps you may have to concentrate more on non-conformist records when looking for the baptism of Jesse. These records show Ann MUSSELWHITE as the daughter of John HEADDON of Over Wallop, Farmer.

Janet
    Hi...

How do I find these records? Seeing a record for John Headdon is great as I hadn't seen one.

Many thanks!
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast