Loves to help with queries

Default Andrew Shortridge's ancestors

My 9x great grandfather Andrew Shortridge/Shortried/Shortreed/Shortriggs (in Scots, Andira Shortried) is the furthest I've been able to go for the Shortridge family. One of his descendants is quite famous (Sheriff Robert Shortreed, a friend of Sir Walter Scott). He was born in Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, or Roxburg, Roxburgshire, in 1638, and died in 1694. He married Bessie (Scots Baysey). They had four children, William David, George, Margaret and Helen. I have all of their descendants, but I'd really like to find out who Andrew (or his wife)'s parents were.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you googled with the year of birth? There seems to be others looking for Andrew b 1638

Indeed I did.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You will need Scotland's People who hold the parish registers which are the main source of records for that period of time.
    However, not all records for all parishes survive. There's quite an exhaustive guide to the various PRs on the SP site.
    https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/g...urch-registers

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Well they had his marriage to Bessie Shortried (as Androw Shortried) [Ashkirk, 6th of August 1658], so presumably a cousin as they had the exact same last name. I can find the births of his four children, William David, Georg, Margrat and Helin.

The only plausible candidate for father I can see is Johne Schortreid who married a Margrat Thomsone in 1631 in Ashkirk, 7 years before Androw's birth. An Andro Schortreid and his son Johne are mentioned in a text from 1526 which is too early obviously. There are lawsuits made by the Shortreed's but the earliest one is late 18th century.

So my only evidence is the fact a man named Johne Schortreid married a Margrat Thomsone, and that Margrat happens to be the name of Androw's daughter. Around the same date a Margrat Schortreid and Isobell Schortried marry James Young and James Murray respectively. These could possibly be sisters or cousins of Johne.

Bessie 'Shortreed' (unlike the Shortreid appearing in the marriage to Androw and birth registers of her children) appears in two other marriage registers but she'd have been past child-bearing age at the time of both dates, and in fact *dead* for the last one. The husbands, as far as I can tell, are very young and both had children, so I can only assume these are two (or perhaps one) unrelated Bessie Shortreeds. The differing spelling, presumably her's, also points to that.

NOTE: I should note that Ashkirk, Jedburgh and Selkirk are close enough to make it rather unlikely two families had the same name. Then again it's definitely not impossible and when they diverge enough (as any family does which starts at least in 1526 in the book about Scotland I found) they're not particularily family.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sam, I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to say thank you. I've been googling for what seems a lifetime trying to find my Shortridge ancestors. I had managed to get back to William Shortridge(1698-1753) my 7x great grandfather and thanks to you I have added another two generations. We both seem to have Andrew as our 9x great grandfather.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello sam, I'm building my family tree and my 9th great grandfather is Andira Andrew Shortried. I've now added his mother and father based on this thread. Have you found anymore information that you could share with me?