marinerescue

Default Looking for Elizabeth Hunter

Hi to everyone

I am searching for information on Elizabeth Hunter who was born @ 1840, Cruden, Aberdeenshire. It appears she had a son James 1871 and were admitted to Dundee Poorhouse and Lunatic Asylum in March 1871 and left in April 1871. If I am on the right track, Elizabeth had a second child, Georgina in 1874, birth registered in St. Nicholas, Aberdeen. On 1881 census Georgina and James are "boarding" with Mary Jamieson who appears to be some kind of "foster mother" for the parish and Elizabeth in listed as inmate in the Aberdeen Lunatic Asylum. Again in 1891 and 1901 Elizabeth appears in the Daviot Lunatic Asylum, Aberdeen. Have managed to trace Georgina's life but nothing for James after 1881. Does anyone know of this family or how I may obtain records of Elizabeth's admission/s into Aberdeen Lunatic Asylum. I have been in touch with Dundee Archives and managed to get some info on Elizabeth and her son whilst in Dundee. I am unsure as to how I may be certain that I am researching the same Elizabeth through the years. Any help would be great

This National Archives guide tells you what records survive. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

This site may also help in your search
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

marinerescue

Default Looking for Elizabeth Hunter

Hi

Many thanks for your help

Take care

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Is this the family in 1841

Cruden; ED: 7; Page: 5; Line: 670; Year: 1841
    Cruden
    James Hunter 35
    Christian Hunter 25
    Elizabeth Hunter 5
    Mary Hunter 3
    Barbara Hunter 1

St Nicholas; ED: 16; Page: 28; Line: 12
    Elizabeth Hunter 23 Cruden

St Andrew; ED: Dundee Poorhouse and Lunatic Asylum; Page: 3; Line: 8;
    Elizabeth Hunter 32
    James Hunter 3 Months

Old Machar; ED: Aberdeen Asylum; Page: 18; Line: 25;
    Elizabeth Hunter 44

Daviot; ED: 2; Page: 3; Line: 11;
    Elizabeth Hunter 51

ED: Daviot Branch Asylum; Page: 3; Line: 18;
    Elizabeth Hunter 61

In 1871 - 1901 Elizabeth is an inmate yet she had 2 children?

I cannot make up my mind as to where James was born Aberdeen / Dundee??

Growing old Disgracefully

I have the same in my Family tree a person is an inmate of the Asylum for part of her life and in that time after a few years she has a daughter who is also kept in the Asylum. The rest of the family went to America and left her there.

janbooth

There is a James HUNTER in the 1891 census of Cruden, Aberdeenshire, who is shown as a 22 year old Visitor, born Cruden, an unemployed Tailor, living in the household of James WYNESS & family - any good??

There is also a UK Outward Passenger List record for a James HUNTER, aged 22, a Compositor, who departed from Glasgow on 4 April 1893 aboard the "California" bound for New York.

Apart from these two, I am not having much success at the moment.

Janet

marinerescue

Hi. Many thanks to everyone who has replied to my query. I too have found Elizabeth on 1841,61,71,81,91 and 1901 census and can only presume that this is one person, though how do I prove she is the mother of Georgina Hunter. I have the birth registration (1874) for Georgina which states she is illegitimate and her mother is Elizabeth Hunter (fish seller). Following her life led me to 1881 census where she is "boarding" with Mary Jamieson, along with 4 other children (all "boarders") including James Hunter, aged 11yrs. It appears that Mary Jamieson may have been some kind of "foster mother" who were paid by the local parish to house children abandoned, orphaned etc by their parents. On no further census do you find Georgina or James living with their mother. Although I have found a birth record for Georgina, cannot find one for James either in Aberdeen or Dundee (states on admission record to Dundee poorhouse that he was born in Cruden in 1871). Can't work out how Elizabeth and James ended up in Dundee poorhouse when they were from Aberdeen. States on admission record that Elizabeth was a mill worker, they both stayed in the poorhouse/lunatic asylum for 1 month. My thinking is that Elizabeth and James returned to the Aberdeen area where she again got pregnant with Georgina, maybe found she couldn't cope and was admitted to Aberdeen Lunatic Asylum whilst her children were placed in foster care??? So wish I could confirm my asssumptions.
    Take care