Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries Pandad's Avatar

Exclamation Parents of John Winterbottom (1781-1838)

I have a brick wall that needs knocking down but just to make matters worse it involves 3 John Winterbottom’s, so I have added lifespan after each one.

Looking for parents of John Winterbottom (1781-1838), Paymaster 52nd Light Infantry, who has a monumental inscription (link below) in Saint Chads Church, Saddleworth, Yorkshire.

https://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/Text%202.jpg

The attached news clip (link below) about John Winterbottom (1825-1897) claims that John (1781-1838) above is his great uncle but I have no direct link between the two John Winterbottom’s.

https://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...GreatUncle.jpg

I have father of John Winterbottom (1825-1897), John Winterbottom (1795-1855), but cannot prove his parents to link up the tree.

I found following clue online about John Winterbottom (1781-1838) but my research so far cannot connect those parents with other known siblings, and I also have concerns about birth and baptism date. Birth date conflicts with evidence in other sources which calculate birth year between 1777 and 1779, and he was 3 years old on baptism if birth date is true?

https://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...eller/WB-2.jpg

Following clue from same document above indicates The Parish Records of St Chad Saddleworth edited by John Radcliffe in 1891 has parentage for John (1781-1838), but to date I cannot find that specific reference. I have emailed Saddleworth Historic Society but no reply to date.

https://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...WB-Parents.jpg

Would like to take this in small steps to see where it leads, if anywhere. I think first step is if The Parish Records of St Chad Saddleworth edited by John Radcliffe in 1891 does actually contain required information. If it does, fine, see where that leads, if it does not, I have following clues to link John (1781-1838) with siblings.

John (1781-1838) made a Will leaving all to his wife and son if they survived, they did not, and the Will was contested in court by the daughter of John (1781-1838) wife, but from her first marriage.
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...bottom&f=false

The Will and court case mentions;

Edward (Bryon) Winterbottom, son of John (1871-1838).

Siblings of John (1781-1838).
    Joseph Winterbottom, died 1811
    Betty Winterbottom daughter of Joseph above, but now a Hughes.
    James Winterbottom
    Mary Winterbottom, now Hale, but husband had deserted her.

I have a big hammer ready, anybody else care to join me?

Rod
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 30-01-2017 at 4:08 PM. Reason: Dates for John amended to 1781-1838

Knowledgeable and helpful

Saddleworth Parish registers have been transcribed on FreeReg2. There are plenty of John Winterbottoms to look at.

Emeltee

Cheers emeltee, off to have a wee look.

Dundee10

I am guessing that should be 1781-1838, not 1871-1838.

Well spotted Dundee 10, I will go in an edit, Thanks

A newspaper tribute (1st Oct 1841) to John Winterbottom has him born "... New Lane, Delph, near Saddleworth".

Not clear what is meant by "Siblings of John 1871 (sic) - 1838" which goes on to mention "Betty, daughter of Joseph". How does this make her a sibling?

Have identified a number of Winterbottom births at Delph around the period you are interested in, including 3 Johns, which yet to check out.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

The parish registers (originals) of Saddleworth are available on Ancestry. Army service records are on FMP. WO100 is on Ancestry.

There are a lot of people of that name in the PRs. I think you probably need to work through all these to decide which are yours.

Also I suggest you critically review the data on the memorial against available army records.

helachau, I have a few newspaper clips but not sure about that one. Will go search.
    Daughter Betty, she is the daughter of Joseph, not John, and is mentioned in Will court case, I mentioned her as a potential link.

Cheers Peter, I have John's service record and that states birth date of 17 Nov 1781 and 17 Oct 1799 for joining 52nd, making John exactly 17 years 11 months old when he joined. However, John was questioned in a parliamentary commission on military discipline in 1835 and within that he states he joined 2 or 3 militia before the 52nd and that he was "about 21" when he joined 52nd, so back into 1778 territory.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    I am guessing that should be 1781-1838, not 1871-1838.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandad View Post
    Well spotted Dundee 10, I will go in an edit, Thanks
    Hi Pandad,

You can only edit your post for about fifteen minutes afterwards so you were well out of time.

However I have sprinkled some of my magic fairy dust and (hopefully) have amended all of the John 1781-1838 dates correctly, including the thread title.
    Could you please carefully read through your first post and make sure that the dates for everyone, not just John 1781-1838, are correct? (It double checks that I didn't get carried away and amend anyone else's date as well by mistake!)

Dundee10, congratulations, you are the first nominee for this week's 'spot the deliberate mistake' prize.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast