Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I think I have James/Ruth in a St Chad memorial inscriptions book. Can’t remember who else is in the grave with them, but will take a look and get back to you when I have located it.

Loves to help with queries Pandad's Avatar

Cheers, appreciated.

Have you seen this before by Susan J Dorey which covers quite a few Winterbottoms, but not my line?
    https://www.susandoreydesigns.com/gen...nterbottom.pdf

Rod

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Rod, I found my Saddleworth MI book but I was mistaken, confusing the inscription I half-remembered with another for a Robert Winterbottom.

However, in the process, I decided to take another look at the Winterbottom / Ogden marriage which I investigated a while back. Ruth Ogden is definitely one of 'my' Ogdens but there is a wrinkle as there are two Ruths, closely related and very close in age. The first Ruth (bap 1773) is the illegitimate dau of Betty Ogden and George Gresham. Betty is the eldest child of Amos Ogden and his 1st wife Ruth Holden. The second Ruth (bap 1770) is the daughter of Amos and his second wife Anne Pilling. So the Ruths are Aunt and Niece. One marries James Winterbottom, the other marries John Broadbent. I have yet to find convincing burial records to determine which pairing is correct.

Meanwhile, I see there are lots of trees on Ancestry where people have decided that your John Winterbottom (1795-1855) who was soldier and yeoman warder, was born to James and Ruth. James was from Bronedge (also spelled Brownedge or Brunedge) and Ruth from Uppermill. Of course people moved around for work but I still have a doubt over whether this is their son despite the baptism date being suggestive.

The banns records for Joseph Winterbottom and Sally Baron in Jan 1776 - called at St Chad in Saddleworth and St Chad in Rochdale where they actually married - confirm Joseph as coming from Denshaw (sometimes spelled Deanshaw) as per the memorial write-up for John (b 1781/bap 1785.) A Jonathan Winterbottom was one of the marriage witnesses.

Denshaw is up in the north-west corner of Saddleworth and close to Friarmere St Thomas where John (1781) was baptised. Joseph and Sally baptised other children here. Friarmere Lodge 'Barracks' - built by Capt Thomas Gartside to house some of his troops - was just outside Denshaw.

Parish registers for Friarmere St Thomas show a couple of possibles for John (b 1795). There is a John (bap 3 Jan 1796), son of John and Mary Winterbottom from the hamlet of Wham, which was just outside Denshaw. There is also a John (bap 8 Mar 1797), son of Daniel and Rosa Winterbottom from Ryehole, another small hamlet in between Denshaw and Delph.

I thought it interesting that one of the children born to John Winterbottom (1795) and his wife Winifred was also called Rosa. Could be entirely coincidental but maybe a connection?

If I get any further with the Winterbottom / Ogden marriage, I'll let you know.

Bests

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123