Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Cool The Shufflebotham family from Cheshire??

Hi I seem to have exhausted the available information on Astbury, Cheshire. I am looking for the 1st wife of William Shufflebotham born approx. 1759 in Congleton. His 2nd marriage was to Mary Stanner in 1780.
    I still have to find his birth as well. Everything I have found so far is from Staffordshire. Are the Cheshire records not transcribed completely as yet?

So if anyone has any ideas about this family line please feel free to offer your ideas and advice.

J

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Julie,

I can't help with any information but I do have queries regarding your post.
    Everything I have found so far is from Staffordshire
    I presume you mean that records for this particular line going back from today to approximately 1780 relate to Staffordshire?
    And because you can't find anything about William in Staffordshire, you're now casting your net a little wider into the next county of Cheshire, because Astbury and Congleton are just over the order between the two counties.
    Are the Cheshire records not transcribed completely as yet?
    Do you mean records for Astbury and Congleton, or the whole of the county?
    If the latter, then the answer is no. And, unless Cheshire is completely different from other counties, they never will be because not all church records survive. Lost in fires, eaten by mice, water-damaged, and just lost, applies to non-conformist as well as Church of England registers.
    If you mean, have all surviving records been transcribed, I don't know.
    The most likely people to have transcribed the most registers would be Cheshire Family History Society and although their website says "We produce a large number of Publications relating to Cheshire family history, including marriage census indexes, monumental inscriptions and parish register transcripts" I can't find anywhere on the site where there's a link to said publications. Perhaps you have to be a member of the society before you can buy anything.

The LDS have transcribed 4.1 million records, possibly about a third of those available, though I don't know for which parishes. I think it might be a case of entering a parish into the search box for the Cheshire PRs and seeing if you strike lucky.
    Even then it might be difficult to find out the exact dates covered and they might be different for baptisms, marriages and burials. (e.g. baps 1812-1836, burials 1820 - 1860) This is the link to LDS UK database
    https://familysearch.org/search/coll...INGDOM_IRELAND
    Scroll down to England Cheshire, because there's some non-conformist records and BTs as well as the PRs, plus other records as well.

Findmypast have a load of Cheshire stuff, but from a quick look at it I think it's the same as the stuff on FamilySearch. Looking at the way the results are shown FMP might be slightly easier to search than FamilySearch because the place names stand out more.

There's a project called 'Cheshire parish register project' where they say there's an estimated twelve million entries to transcribe.
    https://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/
    So far they've done 32 parishes. It's a bit unwieldy to navigate but if you click on database from the menu on the left you can search for names. Plenty of Shufflebothams though they seem to live mainly in Macclesfield.
    (I presume when searching indexes you also think of alternative spellings such as Shufflebottom.)

FreeREG have some parishes partially transcribed.
    https://www.freereg.org.uk/freereg_contents

I am looking for the 1st wife of William Shufflebotham born approx. 1759 in Congleton.
    I presume you mean that William was born approximately 1759, not his first wife was born approx 1759.

His 2nd marriage was to Mary Stanner in 1780.
    I presume that on the marriage certificate to Mary, William is described as a widower.
    Where was this marriage, and have you found Mary's birth? i.e. was she born in the parish in which she married. Have you checked that parish's registers for a baptism for William, earlier marriage for William, death of William's first wife, baptism of any children for William and first wife?

I know that first marriages can be very short - the first wife of one of my twigs died only a few months after they were married - and a similar thing would seem to have happened to William because he's barely old enough to have been married twice by 1780 if he was born circa 1759. (He would have been 21.) Are you basing his likely birth year on his age at death?

Sorry, I've done a lot of presuming in this post.

Don't know if this list of places in Cheshire will be of any help in your Cheshire searches.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CHS/parishes

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

If you still have to find his birth how do you know that he was born crica 1759. If you are basing the birth year on the age given in the Bond for his marriage to Mary, then you need to read the wording of the Bond carefully. It says "aged 21 years and upwards" so he could be any age over 21. Also the Bond says he is "of Congleton" which implies that he is living there. It does not say that he was born there.

Emeltee

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If you are looking at the records on FMP you need to check whether they are Bishops Transcripts (BT's) or from the Parish Register (PR's) , if the former you need to look at the actual Parish Register, as the BT's are a resume of the original source.

Have you considered variations of the surname Shufflebottom / Shufflebothom /Shovelbottom / Shipperbottom / Shoebottom / Shoebotham / Shubothametc

My understanding is that it is a Cheshire / Staffordshire /Derbyshire surname.....

janbooth

A very good source of Cheshire parish registers is FindmyPast which is a pay per view site. I cannot give you full details of any of their records because of their terms and conditions, but there is a baptism at Astbury in 1779 of a Jonathan SHUFFLEBOTHAM & his parents are shown as William & Amey, but I do not think this is your William SHUFFLEBOTHAM because there is a burial at Astbury in 1805 of an Amey SHUFFLEBOTHAM, widow. I can find the baptism in 1781 of Alice daughter of William & Mary SHUFFLEBOTHAM and this details where he is living, but I cannot find any more baptisms for children of William & Mary at Astbury which could indicate he did not stay in Astbury, but there is a burial record at Astbury for a William SHUFFLEBOTHAM in 1830, aged 77. Again I cannot give you full details but his residence on the burial record is the same as that on the baptismal record for daughter Alice. This would give William an approximate birthdate of 1753. It looks as if this William SHUFFLEBOTHAM died Intestate as there are a couple of Cheshire Wills and Probate documents relating to him and it appears he also had a son James, this James dying in 1835, aged 57.

There is a marriage at Astbury on 11 August 1800 for an Allis SHUFFLEBOTHAM to a John BAYLEY and they seem to remain in the Congleton area - their children's baptismal records are on FindmyPast also - and Alice survives to the 1841 census (HO107/119/15, folio 13, page 19) where she is described as a Farmer living at Hill Farm, Congleton Edge with children Adam, Mary & Margaret. Alice was buried in 1860 at Astbury, aged 79.

Does any of this tie in with what you already know about your William SHUFFLEBOTHAM & his family?

Janet

janbooth

And could this be a candidate for James SHUFFLEBOTHAM son of William who died in 1830: Baptised 13 June 1779 at Biddulph James son of Wm & Anne SHUFFLEBOTHAM.

Biddulph is very close to Congleton Edge where Alice BAYLEY nee SHUFFLEBOTHAM is living in the 1841 census record. Two other baptisms at Biddulph for children of William & Anne/Hannah, Thomas baptised 28 April 1776 and Ruth baptised 6 September 1777 & buried 8 October 1777. Ann SHUFFLEBOTHAM wife of William buried at Biddulph in 1779 - full parish register image available to view on FMP.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Cool Huge thank you

Thank you to all that added to this thread. I need to sit and digest what you have sent. I obviously wasn't clear in my details as to who, what and where but you clever people worked it out.
    I will post again when I have time to look at this but I am sure we are on the right trail.

Thank you all so much

Kind regards to all

J

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Emeltee I see what you mean.
    Thank you