Thread: War census

Settling in

Default War census

I have been told that there was a war census taken at the start of the war years, presumably in 1941, which was used by the government to help with their knowledge to be used for conscription, rationing, ID cards etc.
    I would very much like to learn of the details for Harry Rudge, born 1918, who was born & lived in Birmingham. I would also like to learn of the details for his mother, Eliza Rudge, who was born about 1872-1875 who also lived in Birmingham.
    Can anyone help me please as I do not know where this war census may be accessed.
    Thank you.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You're thinking of the 1939 Register which was taken on the 29 September 1939.

It can be accessed online at Findmypast, and also viewed at The National Archives in Kew.

In many cases - including yours as I've checked - the address will be the same as in the previous year's electoral roll.

All it might do for you is confirm Harry and Eliza's dates of births. I say 'might' because, like anything where information is copied from one document to another, details can be copied incorrectly. If you have a birth certificate for a person that is more likely to be accurate.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

marj

Hi

Harry Rudge b. 20/10/1918 mmn Cockin. he died 1996 Birmingham.

You need to get his birth certificate for further details of his father.

Regards Marj

A fountain of knowledge

Angry

This query/research is duplicated in https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...195#post639195

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi macwil,

It's not quite duplicated as this was specifically asking what was the war census, which the other thread didn't.

I acknowledge that the people mentioned in the original post are mentioned in the other thread and I have been keeping a careful watch in case stuff starts getting duplicated.

However I don't think there is very much which can be added about the original query so in view of your concern, I will close this thread.

Anyone who wishes to add further information, please do so in the thread referred to in post #4.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”