Thread: Help

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Help

Hi all I'm new on here so please bear with me , I'm looking for info on Charles, Thomas, Walter Edward an Agnes Hoare , Charles married a Margaret walker in Buenos arires an died there sept 1898 when did he arrive ? What happened Margaret an his children , know daughter Agnes was buried day Charles died , Walter married Buenos Aries to to Catherine fennegan did they die there to ? Believe Agnes was Buenos Aries can't find any marriage death for her tho, Thomas I believe went to Nelson New Zealand can't find any records when any arrived any help appreciated 😊

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Anji02,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

There's a lot of people involved in your post so let's get a little more information about them.

I'm presuming that Charles, Thomas, Walter Edward and Agnes were brothers and sisters. When and where were they born? And is it Walter Edward (one person), or Walter and Edward? (two people) )
    Have you found them on any census records before they emigrated, and if so which was the last one(s) you found them on, and where were they living at the time? (If you can give the census reference e.g. RG11/1234 folio 56 page 78 that's extremely helpful.)

If you've not been able to find an emigration record for Charles how do you know that the Charles who married Margaret Walker in Buenos Aires is yours?

Have you found an emigration record for Walter?

Do you think Agnes also went to Buenos Aires because Charles and Walter did?

And what makes you think Thomas went to New Zealand?

It's quite OK to say 'family stories say so', but if there's better proof (e.g a letter posted from Buenos Aires or New Zealand) then we need to know that too, simply because so many family stories get mangled over the years.

It would also be helpful for you to tell us what sites you've used to get the information you have..

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I've just had a quick look for Argentinian records on FamilySearch and have found a marriage document (two pages) for Walter Hoare and Catalina (sic) Fennegan.
    They married 27 Mar 1890, and Walter was 28, from England, and his parents were Enrique Hoare and Julia Edika, both English.
    Catalina was from Ireland, 26, and her parents were Miguel Fennegan and Alicia Bayle, both Irish.

(It's quite amusing that they've translated half of the names into Spanish, but there's no equivalent for Walter or Alicia. )

Having realised that you need to use the Spanish version of names when searching in Argentina, I've checked unsuccessfully for Carlos, Tomás, and Catalina.

Agnes translates as Inés and there's a baptism of a David Walsh, father also David, mother Inés Hoare, on 23 Mar 1899 in Buenos Aires.
    There's also a baptism for a Maria Julia Walsh, 9 November 1879, with an Inés Hore (sic) named as mother but as the document is not complete and is in Spanish it's 'guess the rest' (though I think it might say David Walsh is from Ireland).
    If you then start searching for Walsh there's quite a few entries for that name.
    Link to Argentina records on FamilySearch.
    https://familysearch.org/search/coll...gion=Argentina

Added: Just checking for David Walsh found a baptism for an Elena Walsh 24 October 1886 which says of her parents David was from Waterford and Ines from Londres (sic).

Pam

Hopefully, answering most of my own questions, based on Ines Walsh, mother of Elena Walsh, being from London . . .

RG10/77 folio 33 page 5,
    Chelsea.
    Henry Hoare, widower, 47
    Henry, son, 20
    Agnes, daur, 19
    Charles, son, 17
    Joseph, son, 15
    Arthur, son, 13
    Walter E, son, 8

In 1871 son Frederick is a scholar at the District asylum for the deaf and dumb in Southwark. RG10/601 folio 113 page 7

1881 census
    RG11/79 folio 15 page 24
    Chelsea
    Henry, 57, with Frederick 20, and Walter 18.

Joseph with wife Elizabeth (nee Turner) and daughter Rose is living in Chelsea, next door to his in-laws.
    RG11/84 folio 46 page 31

Henry Hoare married Julia Ediker March quarter 1849 Chelsea registration district
    Children with mother's maiden name of Ediker
    William Henry - June quarter 1850
    Agnes - March quarter 1852
    Charles and Thomas (twins) - March quarter 1854
    Arthur - December quarter 1857
    Frederick - September quarter 1860
    Walter Edward and Julia Fanny (twins) - March quarter 1863
    Amelia Jessie (mother's maiden name Edikes) - June quarter 1865
    Alfred Ernest - March quarter 1867
    Herbert - March quarter 1869

Death registration Julia Fanny, aged 3, March quarter 1866
    Death registration Amelia Jessie, aged under 1 year, March quarter 1866
    Death registration Alfred Ernest, aged 1, March quarter 1869
    Death registration Herbert, less than a year, June quarter 1869
    Mother Julia death registration June quarter 1869.

I think all registrations were in Chelsea registration district.

Can't find an obvious birth registration for Joseph, but he was baptised 19 September 1855 at St Jude's Chelsea, son of Henry and Julia.

Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Help

Hi pam, many thanks for your reply yes the family on census you put on is same family, thomas was last found on 1861 census he was a twin with Charles, Agnes an Charles last found England 1871, an Walter Edward (same person) 1881 , I was given a old family bible what had them down as dying in Buenos Aries Agnes July 1898 wrote as Agnes Hoare no married name but think she probably married as can't find under that name ,an Charles in sept 1898 Walter 1925 , can only find Charles an Charles daughter Agnes tho sept 1898, Thomas is just wrote as in Nelson New Zealand no date, i did wonder bout Walsh family but can't find any prouf it's right Agnes , Walter was a witness baptism along with Margaret walker at a family called cordes so think it's most likely right Charles Iv found ,
    Agnes born 1852
    Thomas an Charles born 23/12/1853
    Walter Edward 1863
    I never knew Joseph lived next door Elizabeth parents thank you for that info, many thanks again Anji

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi!

I'm a Walsh in Argentina my great great great grandfather was David Walsh.

I'll check the rest of the names.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hopefully, answering most of my own questions, based on Ines Walsh, mother of Elena Walsh, being from London . . .

RG10/77 folio 33 page 5,
    Chelsea.
    Henry Hoare, widower, 47
    Henry, son, 20
    Agnes, daur, 19
    Charles, son, 17
    Joseph, son, 15
    Arthur, son, 13
    Walter E, son, 8

In 1871 son Frederick is a scholar at the District asylum for the deaf and dumb in Southwark. RG10/601 folio 113 page 7

1881 census
    RG11/79 folio 15 page 24
    Chelsea
    Henry, 57, with Frederick 20, and Walter 18.

Joseph with wife Elizabeth (nee Turner) and daughter Rose is living in Chelsea, next door to his in-laws.
    RG11/84 folio 46 page 31

Henry Hoare married Julia Ediker March quarter 1849 Chelsea registration district
    Children with mother's maiden name of Ediker
    William Henry - June quarter 1850
    Agnes - March quarter 1852
    Charles and Thomas (twins) - March quarter 1854
    Arthur - December quarter 1857
    Frederick - September quarter 1860
    Walter Edward and Julia Fanny (twins) - March quarter 1863
    Amelia Jessie (mother's maiden name Edikes) - June quarter 1865
    Alfred Ernest - March quarter 1867
    Herbert - March quarter 1869

Death registration Julia Fanny, aged 3, March quarter 1866
    Death registration Amelia Jessie, aged under 1 year, March quarter 1866
    Death registration Alfred Ernest, aged 1, March quarter 1869
    Death registration Herbert, less than a year, June quarter 1869
    Mother Julia death registration June quarter 1869.

I think all registrations were in Chelsea registration district.

Can't find an obvious birth registration for Joseph, but he was baptised 19 September 1855 at St Jude's Chelsea, son of Henry and Julia.

Pam