Thread: Bob Sunerton

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Bob Sunerton

Technical info required. My mothers birth certificate shows no father. However, the reverse of the certificate states that the birth is legitimated by the marriage of my grandmother to a Mr J M. Does this mean that Mr J M is her biological father?

It means that the mother told the registrar that he was the father.

Since you've posted in the Fife forum, I assume that she was born in Scotland? You could try and find her baptism - the Church of Scotland made a habit of calling in unmarried mothers and getting them to name the father. The entry would be in the Kirk Session minutes and possibly in the baptism register.

PS I've had a look on Scotlands People for any marriages involving a man with the surname "Does", but there's no hits.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Who is Bob Sunerton? As he's the heading of this thread I assume you're researching him too?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Since you've posted in the Fife forum, I assume that she was born in Scotland? You could try and find her baptism - the Church of Scotland made a habit of calling in unmarried mothers and getting them to name the father. The entry would be in the Kirk Session minutes and possibly in the baptism register.
    Since the OP is writing about his/her own mother, the birth will almost certainly have been some time in the 20th century. How much would this still apply?

PS I've had a look on Scotlands People for any marriages involving a man with the surname "Does", but there's no hits.
    I understood the possible father to have the initials "J.M." Surely "Does" is the word at the start of the next sentence...?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    Who is Bob Sunerton? As he's the heading of this thread I assume you're researching him too?
    He's the OP. Notrenus backwards.

Peter

It depends on when in the century and which branch of the Kirk.. certainly before WW1 it still happened in some places.
    20th cenuriy registers are not so convenient to find though.