Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Ancestors of Peter Gammie Pope, b. Inverurie

Greetings from a warm and sunny Australia.

Peter Gammie Pope, my great-grandfather, was born in Aberdeenshire in 1851. I am trying to trace his father and earlier Pope ancestors.

According to the Inverury Register of Baptisms 1851: “William Pope Farm Servant Manar had an illegitimate son by Mary Gammie Farm Servant Manar, born 4th Augt 1851, in Inverury baptized 31st August 1851 in Inverury by the Revd John Davidson and named Peter, before Witnesses the Kirk Session.”

The 1851 census (30 March 1851) shows William Pope living with other servants at Home Farm Manar (near Manar House), and his occupation as “Driving House”, whereas Mary Gammie was living at home with her parents and her occupation was “Servant Out”. He was shown as being born at Rayne and his age was given as 26, but I’ve learned to be wary of ages on census records.

Mary Gammie has been clearly identified as a daughter of Peter Gammie, master blacksmith, and his wife Mary (Reid) Gammie, and the Gammies have been traced back to c.1660. In 1855 Mary Gammie married William Christie and produced several little Christies. Meanwhile, Peter Gammie Pope was raised by his mother’s parents, trained as a stonemason, married, produced a large family, and eventually settled in Aberdeen.

The antecedents and subsequent movements of William Pope have proved more difficult to determine.

Since William Pope was a coachman to the Gordons at Manar House in 1851, he may have maintained his association with horses and stables, in which case he is probably the William Pope who married Helen McPherson in 1858, and is recorded as a coachman (1858), hostler (29 yrs, born Rayne, 1861 census), cabman (42 yrs, 1871 census), stableman (52 yrs, 1881 census), hostler (62 yrs, born Rayne, 1891 census).

From the Statutory Registers of Marriages, we learn that on 11 December 1858 a marriage (after banns) was solemnized at 21 St Andrews St, Aberdeen (the home of the bridegroom), according to the forms of the Church of Scotland, between William Pope, aged 28, coachman and bachelor, son of Alexander Pope, labourer, and Helen Pope, maiden name Robertson (both deceased), and Hellen McPherson, aged 28, housekeeper and spinster, of Tillyfour, parish of Tough, daughter of John McPherson, shoemaker, and Helen McPherson, maiden name Lawson.

William and Helen (or Hellen) had four children. She died at Aberdeen in 1891 (Aberdeen Evening Express, 31 Oct 1891), and her husband was probably the William Pope, stableman, aged 71 yrs, who died at Aberdeen on 3 July 1901 (Aberdeen Journal, 5 July 1901).

So, we are looking for the birth of William Pope in the vicinity of Rayne between 1825 and 1832, and his parents were probably named Alexander Pope and Helen (Robertson) Pope, who both died before 1858.

Plenty of clues, but no luck! The nearest I can find is a Rayne register entry for 1828, as follows:
    “Alexander Pepe [sic] in Drum and Helen Robertson his wife had a son called William, and afterwards baptised before witnesses James Ellis and William Alexander April 13th [1828]”

The handwriting is clear, and the name “Pepe” appears twice. What is more, there is a record of another son, Peter Pepe, born two years later. So maybe at some time before 1851, William changed his surname to Pope. The problem with that is the 1881 census, which shows a much older brother, John Pope, staying with brother William and sister-in-law Helen Pope.

Please, does anyone have anything more on the Popes or the Pepes of Rayne?
    Or some other clue to the identity of the father and grandfather of Peter Gammie Pope?

Tony Pope
    (in exile near Canberra, down under)

Hi
    The Rayne register entry for 1828 sounds a very likely candidate to me. How much closer to Pope can you get than Pepe. having it spelt the same way in the one document does at least show consistency on the part of the writer. As for the 1981 census if the enumerator was given William's name as Pope and then told that John was his brother he (enumerator) would write down Pope for him also.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Baptism Helen Pope 14 April 1826 at Rayne Parents Alexander Pope and Helen Robertson
    Baptism Cushney Pope 8 June 1832 Rayne Parents Alexander Pope and Helen Robertson

So Pope is being used for William's parents also

Christina
    William Burroughs

I can only view the transcription.
    Rayne
    Catherine Robertson 50
    Hellen Pope 15
    Peter Pope 11
    Cushuy Pope 9

In the 1851 census he is transcribed as Cashaie Pop age 18 on ancestry he is a servant in Daviot born Rayne. he marries Jean/jane Cooper 9 Dec 1870 ay Petercultur.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, Christina, for all your help.

I deduce from your 1841 census transcript that Alexander Pope aka Pepe was away from home, perhaps dead, and that 13-yr-old William was probably already employed and living away from home.

Now I must concentrate on finding Alexander’s parents, in the absence of censuses before 1841. Perhaps via his marriage details. Any tips would be appreciated.

Tony