Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Allan F Sparrow

After consulting the FreeREG site (as well as pay-sites for which I have subscriptions), this is what I have found:-

Walter Herbert Sparrow, who married Ida M. Bales in 1931, was born in 1902, probably on 17th May, though the birth was registered in Tendring in the 3rd quarter. He probably died in 1961 [2nd quarter in Ipswich] aged 58. His wife Ida was born in July 1904.

The parents of Walter Herbert were Edward (sometimes recorded as Edmund) Sparrow and Sarah Hills, who were married in 1895 [2nd quarter Tendring]. This couple appear in the censuses of 1901 and 1911; in both cases he was called Edmund, though FMP has transcribed it as Edward in 1911. Walter was one of the children recorded in 1911.

Edward Sparrow was born in 1864 [3rd quarter Tendring]. It would seem he was the son of John and Sarah Sparrow recorded in the 1871 Census. Edward joined the Royal Artillery in 1886, serving in India among other places, and was transferred to the reserve in 1895 and discharged in 1896. He is said to appear in the records of Chelsea Pensioners, but I have not seen the image as it is on a site to which I have no subscription. Edward seems to have died between 1911 and 1939: he may have been registered under the name Edmund Sparrow in 1926 [3rd quarter Ipswich] said to be aged aged 61. His widow Sarah possibly died in 1963 [4th quarter Ipswich] aged 91.

John Sparrow, the father of Edward/Edmund, is said in the 1871 and 1891 censuses to have been born in Kirby le Soken, Essex. This means he was probably baptised there on 8th June 1823, the illegitimate son of Sarah Sparrow – NOT as some trees at Anc have it, the son of Elisha Sparrow baptised in Dovercourt on 28th July 1822.
    John Sparrow married Sarah Groass/Gross in 1855 [3rd quarter Tendring]: she had a son John Gross before they were married, who was recorded as John Sparrow's stepson in the 1871 census. Sarah Gross was baptised in Little Oakley, Essex, on 6th August 1836, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Gross.
    John Sparrow possibly died in 1900 [3rd quarter Tendring] said to be aged 78.

Hi Allan
    some terrific information there, thank you. Debra has certainly been given a great start in her Sparrow search.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Allan F Sparrow

Thanks, Christina. For obvious reasons, I see any Sparrow enquiries – which seem very rare on b-g – as being my province, especially if there is a Suffolk connection!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you all so much,...I cannot believe the outpouring of help and information. I have been able to find ONE Uncle who is regularly on e-mail and social media and he and I are taking what you have given us and running with it. Just as an FYI, the main reason I am doing the search this way is that my Mother always insisted when we asked questions about her family that we would probably never be able to find any records since so many were burned, blown-up or just lost in and after the war (of course WW II).
    Again, thank you all so much, and as I said, if you need anything from my "end", do not hesitate to ask.
    Debra

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Allan, there are very many times lately that I wish I had a much more substantial Suffolk connection myself. The times that I and my siblings spent with our Aunts, Uncles and cousins in Ipswich and the surrounding area when we were younger are some of the best memories of my life. I was also extremely lucky that while I was in the U.S. Air Force myself "Uncle Sam" saw fit to station me at RAF Lakenheath so I was again able to revisit some of the places of my youth.
    Thanks again, and hopefully we can stay in "touch".

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I cannot thank you enough Christina, this is invaluable information. I must admit, though, that my maternal grandfather passed away in 1955 or '56 ( I have to check with my Uncle to verify) and the only one of Patricia's children (I am number three of five) he ever saw was my older brother Dan who was born in London (Dad was stationed at Ruislip). As to the name he went by, I think I had forgotten the Walter part, but my Mother always said he was called Stub OR Stump or some such nick-name!!! This seems to be a shared trait between both my parents; my fathers-father was Isaac Wilbur Howe, but his whole life he went by Ted!!!!!!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Allan, thanks again for all your help. The connection to the sea shared by Harwich and Ipswich is probably a factor. My grandfather was a dock worker in Ipswich from what I remember my mother saying. Yes, these seem to be exactly the people I was looking for. As to the Tendring registration district, was this a central depository location of some sort? It seems from what Christina found that "my" Sparrows were quite fluid across Suffolk, Norfolk and Essex.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

As to this other Bales-Sparrow marriage I need to check with my Uncle, but I do believe that Mom used to talk about this connection. Possibly the marriage of Walter and Ida brought their siblings together!!
    Thank you again for all your help, and seeing where you are posting from, I hope the summer is going well for you!!

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by howedarleen View Post
    As to the Tendring registration district, was this a central depository location of some sort? It seems from what Christina found that "my" Sparrows were quite fluid across Suffolk, Norfolk and Essex.
    Tendring is/was one of many registration districts into which the county of Essex was divided for the purpose of registrations of births deaths and marriages, and possibly electoral registers too. All the English and Welsh counties were divided into such districts, at least from 1837 when official registration of BMDs began. For example, my own family lived for some time in Barrow (west of Bury St Edmunds) Suffolk, which was in the registration district of Thingoe.

The surname Sparrow goes back to about 1200 in Suffolk, and seems to have spread from there to the neighbouring counties including Essex and Norfolk, and beyond.

If you go to www.freereg.org.uk you will be able to search the Essex parish registers. At Kirby le Soken, where John Sparrow, grandfather of Walter Herbert, said he was born, you will be able to find his mother Sarah and her parents Robert and Mary – but Robert appears to have moved into Essex from somewhere else, as I could not see a baptism for him, nor his first marriage; but his second marriage took place in Kirby le Soken – it is all there at freereg.

Happy hunting: I enjoyed this little search!

Allan

Allan F Sparrow

Here is a new twist:

The Sarah Sparrow who had an illegitimate son John Cri* Sparrow baptised on 8th June 1823 married John Crisp on 14th July 1823, so there is a probability that Cri* originally said Crisp and that John Crisp was the father. This probability is increased by the fact that her son seems to have called himself Crisp on some occasions, and Sparrow on others, as seen in this sequence of censuses:-

1861, in Ramsey, Essex:
    John S Crisp, 38, ag lab, born Kirby, Essex – the S perhaps stood for Sparrow
    Sarah Crisp, 24, his wife, born Little Oakley, Essex
    John Crisp, 6, son, born Wix, Essex
    William Crisp, 1, son, born Ramsey, Essex

1871, in Ramsey, Essex:
    John Sparrow, 49, ag lab, born Kirby le Soken, Essex
    Sarah Sparrow, 34, born Little Oakley, Essex
    John Gross, 16, step-son, born Wix, Essex – Gross or Groass was his mother's maiden name
    William Sparrow, 12, son, born Ramsey, Essex
    Thomas Sparrow, 9, son, born Ramsey, Essex
    Edward Sparrow, 7, son, born Ramsey, Essex
    Sarah Sparrow, 4, daughter, born Ramsey, Essex

1881, in Ramsey, Essex:
    John Crisp, 58, ag lab, born Kirby, Essex
    Sarah Crisp, 45, born Little Oakley, Essex
    John Crisp, 25, son, born Wix, Essex
    Thomas Crisp, 19, son, born Ramsey, Essex
    Edward Crisp, 17, son, born Ramsey, Essex
    Sarah Crisp, 15, daughter, born Ramsey, Essex
    Martha Crisp, 10, daughter, born Ramsey, Essex

Also:
    Sarah Sparrow, mother of John, was almost certainly baptised on 28th April 1799, the daughter of Robert and Mary Sparrow – the last of their children to be born, and apparently one of only two who reached adult years.

Hope this proves helpful.

Allan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12