Famous for offering help & advice

Default Edgar Dewdney 1835-1916

the online Dictionary of Canadian Biography says that this politician was born Bideford, Devon 5 November 1835 to Charles Dewdney and Fanny, nee Hollingshead.

The only baptism record I can see names parents as John & Elizabeth. I can't find a Dewdney / Hollingshead marriage.

any thoughts please ?

just remembered that I've seen the marriage registration for his second marriage, in 1909, where his father's name is given as Charles.

From a lengthy obituary in the Western Morning News, 1 July 1927

"... The place of his birth is not definitely known. That he was born in Devonshire is certain on Nov 5th 1835 but I have been unable to ascertain the town or parish. A friend of his in Canada has stated his belief that he was a native of Exeter ...."

The Edgar Dewdney, born to John (profession Gentleman) and Elizabeth, was baptised 10 Nov 1835. A John Dewdney and Elizabeth Parsons were married 21st June 1825 at Littelham cum Exmouth and had numerous children.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Devonmade

Looking at the 1841 census I can find an Edgar Dewdney with several siblings living at with a school mistress in the Tiverton area, on the 1851 census he is at school in Exeter, place of birth is Budleigh which is where the baptism found took place.

many thanks helachau.

It looks like there has been some online discussion about his parentage before. Some articles about him refer to him being in Tiverton in 1841 which I suppose is a reference to this census

Registration district Tiverton & Dulverton
    Archive reference HO107
    Piece number 255
    Book number 15
    Folio number 11
    Page number 16

looking at baptism records for Rose and Charlotte Dewdney give parents as John & Elizabeth too.

crossposted with Devonmade

On the 1909 marriage cert his father is recorded as "Charles Dewdney (deceased), Gentleman"

A separate newspaper article has a former pupil saying he knew Edgar at Templeton's Mansion House School, Exeter, 1856 and Edgar left 2 years later. This pupil, born 1842, thought himself no more than 5 years younger than Edgar.

Because Edgar boarded at Templeton's the former pupil thought he was not a native of Exeter,

The 1851 Census has an Edgar Dewdney at Mansion House, aged 15, born Budleigh

The previous item dates do not fit the 1851 Census - but the newspaper item was based on an interview with an 85 year old.

janbooth

I, too, can only find the baptism on 18 November 1835 at East Budleigh for Edgar son of John & Elizabeth DEWDNEY, Budleigh Salterton, Gentleman.

The only Edgar DEWDNEY I can find in the 1841 and 1851 census records born c1835 in Devon is not with his parents in either census. The 1841 census of Tiverton (HO107/255/13, folio 11, page 16) shows Jane DEWDNEY aged 15, Rose DEWDNEY aged 13, Charlotte DEWDNEY aged 11, Fanny DEWDNEY aged 9 & Edgar DEWDNEY aged 4 all living in Peter Street as a separate household in the house of Eliza & Helena TURNER who are both Schoolmistresses. The 1851 census of Exeter St David (HO107/1869, folio 95, page 17) shows an Edgar DEWDNEY aged 15 born Budleigh as a Scholar living at Mansion House which looks as if it may be a private school run by School Master James TEMPLETON and his wife Emma. Interestingly there is a Walter DEWDNEY aged 13 who is also a Scholar at the school and he is shown as born Budleigh and his actual baptismal record shows his parents to be John & Elizabeth DEWDNEY also - he is living, aged 3, in Budleigh in the 1841 census but with a Joseph PALMER and family. Looking at the baptisms for the other children in the 1841 census with the exception of Jane, their parents are also shown as John & Elizabeth DEWDNEY and I have just found a Harry DEWDNEY baptised at East Budleigh in 1825 who is another child of John & Elizabeth.

It is interesting given the 1841 census record above, that a Family Tree on Ancestry shows a portrait of "Aunt Charlotte and looks to be in Ted DEWDNEY's handwriting". There is also a whole heap of other documentation regarding Edgar DEWDNEY who emigrated to Canada, so if this is not your Family Tree it would be well worth a look.

Sisters Jane, Charlotte & Fanny DEWDNEY are all still unmarried and living in the 1861 census of Exeter St Davids (RG9/1397, folio 51, page 23) and are shown as Independent. They are also in Exeter St Davids, as well as sister Rose, in the 1851 census visiting Eliza & Helena TURNER the Schoolmistresses where the DEWDNEY family is in the 1841 census.

I wonder if both parents died whilst the children were still relatively young and they just believed their father was a Charles DEWDNEY. This could be borne out by a marriage entry in the Dawlish parish register of a Fanny DEWDNEY on 24 April 1862 to Drew Vivian ROSEVEAR wherein she names her father as Charles DEWDNEY, Gentleman. Another marriage, this time for Charlotte DEWDNEY at Dawlish on 16 October 1862 to an Edward WRIGHT, her father being named as Charles DEWDNEY, Gentleman. There is a Walter DEWDNEY born c 1838 who marries in India in 1860 and he shows his father as a Harris? DEWDNEY - don't know whether he is the Walter born c1838 in Budleigh.

See what you think, anyway. It may give you another avenue to explore.

Janet

Snap with helachau - I am obviously slow this morning, too many interruptions whilst investigating!!

very many thanks for your considerable efforts. very interesting. Yes, the thought occured to me that if one's parents died before one had a chance to know them it might be difficult to apply the 'correct' name to them. They all plumped for Charles. I wonder where the name Fanny Hollingshead came from, as referred to in the Dictionary of Biography.