Default More than one illegitimate child

Hello, can anyone tell me their thoughts on why a woman in the 1790's up to 1813 would give birth to six illegitimate children? Of course there is the obvious reason, but I'd like to know other theories if any exist. This the first time I've encountered so many from the same mother. Thank you

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Snap.

My 2xGreat Grandmother had 7 illegitimate children, from 1854 to 1871. No fathers on birth & marriage certs. or at their baptisms.

She did work in the same Hotel for almost 16 years, as a servant. But whatever she was servant to, is any ones guess.

What ever reason you can think of, is more than likely right. But proving what you think is another thing.

She could have lived with someone as man and wife, but no marriage. She could have been in love 7 times, and got jilted. Of course there are potentially more serious issues, like rape by whoever may have control over her life. Or she enjoyed having sex, and was potentially a 'woman of the night' to earn a living.

Sorry i can't be more positive, but you might check for court cases involving prostitution, possible arrests, paternity claims, Wills.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Of course, divorce being almost impossible for most, couples did live together as married, but fathers would not be registered as such....

Hi Annalies, Was this woman English? If so the dates mentioned were during the Napoleonic Wars and she may have been unlucky with her choice of Soldiers or Seamen as lovers. How many survived beyond a few days or weeks? She may just have been replacing babies who died. Vern.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I too have the local village whore on my tree, with 7 illegitimate children born between 1834 - 1856 one from which I am descended!

The mother went on to marry a husband 18 years younger than her, still from the same village and produce 2 further children.....

Thanks Vern, excellent information; and yes she was English, from the West Riding of Yorkshire. It's good to hear all these theories as one never knows the true story so I want to steer away from labeling her or assuming what some would say is the obvious; you know what assumptions can do in genealogy!

Kiltpin

In my wife's tree, she has a relative who produced three illegitimate children. She was was, although, classed as being 'of simple mind'.

Regards

Kiltpin

Default More than one illegitimate child

Hi Annalies,
    Was she a transported convict by any chance? The women convicts were very often used and abused particularly if she had no one to look out for her. Any way, good luck with your quest. Vern.

Aha Kiltpin, that is fantastic information also. I had not thought of that at all; it's quite possible that this lady was also of "simple mind" and therefore nobody would marry her maybe? Yet she was promiscuous without her really knowing that she was, if you know what I mean.

Vern, no she was not a convict; she lived and presumably died in west yorkshire.