Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Can I save my Ancestry Tree

This may seem a daft question but having done a lot of work on my family trees can anything be saved from the Ancestry site or is it there for life. I am not very techi so may have not understood anything too difficult.
    To input individually into another tree setup would be tedious. I would love some other way.

Allan F Sparrow

You can export your tree to your computer as a gedcom file which can be opened by many genealogy programs. Look around for options or settings when you are looking at the tree online, as I don't recall the exact details. I know I did it myself before removing my tree from Ancestry.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I can see how to UPLOAD a GEDCOM file in the 'manage trees' tab but not to export it. Where else do I look?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by jemrock View Post
    I can see how to UPLOAD a GEDCOM file in the 'manage trees' tab but not to export it. Where else do I look?
    Go to Tree Settings

Scroll down to MANAGE TREE

Click on EXPORT TREE

You will then have the GED COM

The tree will stay on Ancestry unless you delete it from there, which can also do on the Tree Settings page.

Allan F Sparrow

I'm sure Megan is right. Also, if you go to "Help" from the top of Ancestry home page after signing in, you will get to a page which answers common questions, including how to deal with trees.

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allan F Sparrow View Post
    You can export your tree to your computer as a gedcom file which can be opened by many genealogy programs.
    This is opportune - I've just tried this for a friend's tree that I had been researching, so that he can have an off line copy.
    Am I right in thinking that a gedcom file won't take images over as well? (none were transferred) - or have I missed something?

cheers, MTS

Brick wall demolition expert!

It should take all the images, BUT I have found the weekends are a bad time to do this because its often when Ancestry are doing servicing or backing up or something else, so quite often I can't sync my tree, particular late in the evening. So try again tomorrow and see what happens when the gremlins may have gone away!

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

oh - ok

Cheers, MTS