Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starting to feel at home

Cool Looking for theatre records 1877 - 1888

Hi does anyone know anything about the theatre history or how to find information?
    I have a relative who goes by the name of Emmeline Blanco (nee Squibb) who was a showgirl.
    Does anyone know the history of showgirls in Leeds around 1877.
    Her husband Emilio Blanco was recorded on their childrens birth certificate as 'stage manager' (Leeds 1877), 'musician' (Bristol 1881) and then 'theatrical agent' (Leicester 1888). But then by 1891 census he went into the shoe trade!

Any help please?

Many thanks

The Stage Archive is quite useful. It is pay as you go but you can subscribe for a week only.

https://
    archive.thestage.co.uk/Default/Skins/TheStage/Client.asp?Skin=TheStage&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1 484827964830
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Starting to feel at home

Very disappointing- the search came up with one clipping in the Alexandra Oct 1898 but I can't pay online anymore- you have to ring up! Not easy when you live on the other side of the world. Also not willing to pay 15pounds for one article that may not even be her.

Reputation beyond repute

There's the Theatre Archives at the V&A

https://www.vam.ac.uk/content/article...e-performance/

But if you're not prepared to fork out for researchers' fees, this probably isn't for you either.

the British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ Has The Era online and this is the most useful theatrical newspaper for music hall and theatre outside London. I found hundreds of reviews about my great grandparents as well as advertisements for when they were "at Home" ie out of work.
    I just did a quick search on there for Emmeline Blanco and got nothing. I did a search for Emilio Blanco and there was one hit. Let me say now that I am useless at finding stuff with searches. Give it a try with all the combinations you can think of
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Peter it's more that I can't afford the researchers fee it at this time.

British Royal Marines

Just wondered if this may interest you, could there be a connection with
    Francisco Blanco
    Private Francisco Squibb
    Married
    Elizabeth Brown
    6 May 1871
    Stonehouse Registrars Office
    Chatham

Peanut

wallydog

Hi Peanut thanks for the info. However my Francisco was born 1876? So 5 years too early maybe? It's interesting though will maybe check the 1871 census for them.
    Cheers

A fountain of knowledge

WALLYDOG

I got a lot of help years ago for free by emailing the Stage but from previous postings here, sound as though now it's fee paying.
    However I googled Blanco and there is an entry Blanco Family History on Facebook. I'm not a member. But is it
    your family that has posted this? If not I believe it is your family - there are lots of photos and documents inc birth, marriage and deaths inc the names you refer to. ie Emmeline's parents' marriage Charles Squibb and Emma Poulsen. Think Emmeline died 1894.

Hope I've helped!
    Best wishes
    Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have spent years researching my family's music hall and circus members. Contemporary newspapers are a fabulous resource.

A serious problem for researchers is that performers often used stage names almost exclusively. One of mine even used is stage name on his marriage license! Even worse, they seem to have changed their stage names quite frequently. Finding out the stage name they used is often difficult - but once you do, it can be very rewarding. Two of my people, who were brothers, had a back-and-forth squabble by putting adverts in "The Era".

Findmypast.co.uk includes newspapers in their subscription, so if fmp is available via a local library where you are it might be possible to research newspapers that way. If a performer was looking for work, they often put their "p.a." - short for personal address - in their advertisement. This can then be used in more searches. Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast