Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I would add him in 'pencil'. As you may well know, a minimum of 3 records is the least you need to confirm him. Birth/baptism, marriage and death. The more you find, the better it is, as you know.

As said before, there is less than 35-40% of records online, and transcripts of records(depending on who does them), miss vital information, and also make mistakes when transcribing.

Don't be fooled by the variations of surname of Bazely, it happens.....they change with local dialects and for many other reasons. Written as heard by whoever is recording the name. If they can't read, how would they know the spelling of their own name.

My Bazely relative, went through 4 variations of her surname over her lifetime. Every record that applied to her was correct, except the variation of her surname.
    I've been researching as long as you, maybe a little longer, but not a lot changes, just more to see online(if it's correct, and originals records there to see).

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    Don't be fooled by the variations of surname of Bazely, it happens.....they change with local dialects and for many other reasons. Written as heard by whoever is recording the name. If they can't read, how would they know the spelling of their own name. My Bazely relative, went through 4 variations of her surname over her lifetime. Every record that applied to her was correct, except the variation of her surname.
    Believe me I'm not! See here for the list of all the derivations of my surname that I've found whilst researching. What I have never found in 10 years of research though, is one of my relatives hiding behind the name Beasley in any document, original or transcribed. Yet.

southistle

I have been indexing/transcribing Northamptonshire records for many years. In the Northants baptism indexes are several instances where the name has been spelled BAZELEY etc in the pr and BEASLEY etc in the BTs for the same baptism.

This baptism at Wappenham seems very likely yours
    Thomas son of Richard and Mary BEASLY privately bapt 13 Jan 1764, received into the congregation 2nd Feb

southistle

I tried to edit the above post but I was too slow.
    More thoughts
    Thomas BASELY married Ann JONES botp 1786 Wappenahm
    Thomas BASLEY married Mary JONES botp 1786 Wappenham

Either of these could be the one bapt in 1764
    They had these children

Thomas and Ann
    Mary, Christina, John, Elizabeth, Estall Jones, Sarah, Richard

Thomas and Mary
    Hannah, Benjamin, Ann Mayo, William

There must be clues in these names.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by southistle View Post
    I have been indexing/transcribing Northamptonshire records for many years. In the Northants baptism indexes are several instances where the name has been spelled BAZELEY etc in the pr and BEASLEY etc in the BTs for the same baptism.

This baptism at Wappenham seems very likely yours
    Thomas son of Richard and Mary BEASLY privately bapt 13 Jan 1764, received into the congregation 2nd Feb
    Hi Southistle, thanks for your suggestions, but if you read my first post you'll see I ruled him out. This is because he marries Mary Jones on 18/04/1786. My Thomas Bazeley marries Ann Jones on 13/10/1786. In fact they are on the same page of the Wappenham parish marriage register which definitely prevents them being the same person. I am on pretty solid ground from Thomas descending as I have accessed 99% of the records. It's trying to go back from him that's my concern, and as I pointed out having manually trawled through every page of the Wappenham parish registers there are no more Bazeley records of any type until 1702. And I've demonstrated that he can't be a Beasly so I am absolutely certain he was not born there.

I wonder what the chances are of his baptism going unrecorded wherever it took place? I suppose in those days there was a good chance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12