rogtut

Default Sutton Coldfield Cemetery ( old part)

Is there a kind person who knows this cemetery and can find and possibly photograph a headstone. The deceased are Frances Lucy Chavasse nee Evans and her sister Mary Richardson nee Evans. They were buried together on 23 Feb 1905 in grave A - 216.

The grave was originally purchased as a grave for 3 burials and is now full. The first burial took place on 9.8.1893 of Charles Edward Chavasse aged 53 years.

I have a map showing the approximate grave location.

Thanks for your help.

Roger J Tutton (great grandson of Frances Lucy Chavasse).

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Do you know for certain that there is a headstone? In many cemeteries the parts where early burials took place have been allowed to 'return to nature' so for most of the year you're ploughing through long grass to find anything, and only the tallest stones are visible. Even when you know exactly where you're going (as opposed to 'approximate') and can 'pace out' the plots it's still difficult to locate a small-ish stone.
    Obviously anyone who does know the cemetery will be able to advise you better. They also might be able to go to the cemetery office and find out for free if there definitely is a headstone. Can't speak for all cemeteries but one I've had face-to-face dealings with has a map of the grave locations and then another showing which graves have headstones or other markers (e.g. an urn) on them.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

rogtut

Thanks Pam
    The very helpful Superintendent at the cemetery tells me that 'records do not unfortunately show if a memorial is present'.
    However Charles Edward Chavasse (the first burial in 1893) was a prominent Sutton Coldfield resident (he left effects of some £44,000) so one would hope that there is a headstone.
    I take your point about the long grass as I spent a fruitless morning last year searching for the gravestone of a relative and have in the past undertaken cemetery photography.

Roger