Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

I completely understand!

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Whilst I realised you may have this info, I was just trying to get a feel for the family.......

I did wonder if they were relatives, why / who else would you trust a child with!

This is handwritten and only contains the initials of what looks like a family, there are 3 pages like this but you have to flick thru' the 'T' list to the next page. This ancestry

Starting to feel at home

Hi, I asked my great Aunt about this and she seems sure it is Elvon and Eleanor. I did tell her I found a marriage certificate listing the names Edwin instead of Elvon and Ellen Lornswarth (instead of Eleanor Loinsworth). I actually ordered and received the original marriage certificate and it shows those handwritten names, (not written by my great grandparents, I'm assuming written by the clerk). Not to confuse - the original marriage certificate shows Edwin Spicer and Ellen Lornswarth (instead of Elvon and Eleanor). It does not show occupation though.

I do think the correct names are indeed Elvon and Eleanor though and perhaps clerk heard and wrote down wrong. I think this is the case because Elvon and Eleanor had 14 children. Their 13th son named his son after his father (the child's grandfather), and the name is Elvon.

And wow, the UK has better pricing for sure. I believe I paid over $20 for the marriage certificate. I had originally ordered it thinking the names would help but then turns out it just confused me more hahah. But I do think the names are Elvon and Eleanor.

Dundee10

This website has some links to accessing civil reg. certificates and church records ('research' tab). Having a search done for Doris' birth registration would seem to be the first thing to do.

https://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ttowgw/

Do you know if both of her parents were of African descent? There were both SPICERs and LOINSWORTHs who were slave owners in the islands.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you, I will give it a try.

I do not know for sure if they were both of African descent. Elvin looks very Indian...

And there's a story that Eleanor/Ellen was supposed to marry someone else - her family wasnt happy that she married Elvon instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    This website has some links to accessing civil reg. certificates and church records ('research' tab). Having a search done for Doris' birth registration would seem to be the first thing to do.

Do you know if both of her parents were of African descent? There were both SPICERs and LOINSWORTHs who were slave owners in the islands.

Allan F Sparrow

Elvin could be an English spelling of the Welsh name Elfyn.

Probably no help, but I thought it worth mentioning. (I had an uncle named Elfyn Lewis.)

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post

Thank you for this info. I went to rootsweb and then remembered that I had tried that already. As noted on the site (under 'research' tab), 'researching for ancestors in Trinidad and Tobago is more difficult than some of the other islands of the West Indies. Trinidad has been reluctant to allow any microfilming of their records, unlike islands like Barbados, so you will find almost nothing through organizations like the Church of Latter Day Saints for example. ... Individuals doing paid research in Trinidad are virtually non-existent. If you happen to live in England, you will have easier access to old newspapers, almanacs, and Colonial Office Records. If you live in the US these records will be difficult to come by...'

That is the issue I've been having. My resources are limited. I'm in California. If I were in Trinidad (or England), I could go to the various offices to request records. I've got my work cut out for me!

Still hoping someone here may see something I'm not able to, or something I've overlooked during my search...

All the responses are promising to see for sure.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Is this the Edna TOOLSIE

1925 NY Census
    New York State Archives; Albany, New York; State Population Census Schedules, 1925; Election District: 12; Assembly District: 20; City: New York; County: New York; Page: 27
    Dores Toolsie 23
    Edna Toolsie 20

On the left hand page at the bottom are
    James TOOLSIE
    Owen
    Percy
    presume it is the same household

Application for Naturalisation
    Edna Betaudier b 19 Feb 1906 Trinidad, BWI married to ( Arnold ) Percy b 21 Oct 1907 married 23 Sept 1924 It looks as if these persons arrived in the US in 26 Oct 1923 on board 'Maraval'

Doris Spicer arrived in the US on board 'Mayaro' in 1923

Not what you are looking for but a bit more of the jigsaw completed

You state that Doris was one of 14 siblings. Did any others leave BWI or did they all remain on the islands. What about the parents did they leave the islands?

Starting to feel at home

Yes, that is the Edna.

Yes, Doris was one of 14 siblings. I believe most of them stayed there on the islands. From what I know, only a very few left. Doris was one, she went to New York. Her oldest brother Lenny was going to go with her but got very ill beforehand so did not leave with her. Her youngest sister Pearl went to New York at some point and another sister, Hilda went to Australia.

Doris' parents, Elvon and Eleanor/Ellen, I do not think they left Trinidad.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Births Marriages & Death Certificates are held at GRO.gov.uk.

In the UK we use a free site to find the relevant references needed ( www.freebmd.org.uk). In addition to UK events, the GRO also has other BMD records which are listed seperatley on FMP ( findmypast) as Doris Spicer and Edna Toolsie both state they are British citizens, I would expect to find their both details to be held under this category
    British Nationals Born Overseas 1818-2005 sadly they are not listed.

I conclude that any records will either be Parish records or the relevant certification held on Trinidad & Tobago. If your family members were non conformist as in RC/ Methodist, these records are only just starting be be digitalised in the UK......

Follow this link down to Trinidad you may find something helpful...https://www.candoo.com/genresources/

Just realised that amongst the records I looked at tonight Edna stated she was born Arima? maybe Doris was!

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for all of this info geneius. I will dive into all of it and see what I can come up with!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast