Starting to feel at home

Default Worcester Quarter Sessions

Hi Folks

First of all A Happy New Year to everyone.....

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this....

I'm looking to find the dob of George Postins, variations = Poskus Postings Pontius....

George Postins, one of 75 convicts transported on the Scindian, 27 February 1850, to Freemantle jail,

I have a George Postins given as born Mar 1836 Kinver, Staffordshire, England.....

Any help would be much appreciated.....

Kind regards

Tom

Reputation beyond repute

I have a George Postins given as born Mar 1836 Kinver, Staffordshire, England.....
    I can see that George Postins in Kinver in the 1841 census HO 107/1002/9 f 21. Unfortunately he still seems to be on the loose in Kinver in 1851 and therefore couldn't have been transported in 1850 (HO107/2017 f 264)

Reputation beyond repute

PS

I can see a George Postens in the Criminal Registers on Ancestry, tried in Worcester 19 Oct 1847 and sentenced to transportation. His age is given as 17.

Brick wall demolition expert!

According to the Australian Convict Index 1788-1868 he was born 1830.

A George Postans (as transcribed by Ancestry) died in 1905 in Freemantle, Western Australia. His father’s name was Samuel. He was said to have been born in Hereford, and was married to Harriet Green in 1858. (Note the marriage is recorded under the name Postons).

He was convicted at Worcester Quarter Sessions on 18 October 1847 and sentenced to two terms of ten years each, for housebreaking. Whilst incarcerated in the Convict Prison at Portland before transportation the surgeons report in March 1849 stated his health to be “very indifferent”, although he was well behaved. Originally he was in Millbank goal where he was received from Worcester county gaol. Millbank’s records say he was 17, so that again points to 1830. He was moved to Portland on 21 Dec 1848.

It would be worth checking with the Worcester record office to see if any of their gaol records exist, because they sometimes identify the parish that the prisoners came from, and then that might help you in your search.

jacval

According to newspaper reports (1847) he was under 20 yrs of age and was from Middleton-on-the Hill.

1841 census Middleton on the Hill Herefordshire
    George Poston 14 m/s born in county (possibly a farm laborer) H0107/430 Bk.17 folio4 page3

jacval

George's accomplice was a Richard Heath from Wolverhamton Staffs

1841 census Willenhall Wolverhampton Staffs H0107/985 Bk 7 folio10 page13
    Richard Heath 10 app? born in county

1841 Same place H0107/985 Bk 7 folio 46 page 11

Samuel Postings 40 brick maker?
    Elizabeth 40
    Samuel 15 ...... ......
    Eliza 15
    John 5 None of this family were born in Staffs

janbooth

Happy New Year, Tom.

Find a Grave Index shows that George POSTANS was born c1829 at Hereford, married Harriet LEWINGTON in 1858 at Freemantle, died 28 March 1905 at Freemantle and that his parents were Samuel & Emma POSTANS. Lovely photograph of him & one of his gravestone on this site. His Convict Transportation record shows that he was convicted on 18 October 1847 and transported aboard the "Scindian" to Western Australia on 27 February 1850. All this ties in with what the others have found for you except for the surname of his bride?? Will dig a bit deeper.

Janet

janbooth

Ah, Harriet was a widow when she married George. Harriet LEWINGTON married Edwin GREEN on 13 April 1852 at Freemantle - lovely picture of her as well on the Find a Grave website. The site also gives the names of Harriet's parents.

I wonder if the name of Samuel POSTANS' wife is incorrect as Ancestry show 3 baptisms at Middleton on the Hill to a Samuel & Hannah POSTANS, 15 May 1831 Emma POSTONS, 16 February 1834 Charlotte POSTANS & 31 January 1836 John POSTANS. There is also a Thomas & Mary POSTANS & variants having children at Middleton at about the same time, so perhaps a brother to your Samuel?

1861 census of Middleton on the Hill, Herefordshire (RG9/1830, folio 38, page 9) shows:

Samuel POSTON Head Mar 88 Agrl Labourer Herefordshire Middleton
    Hannah do Wife Mar 68 Labourers Wife do do
    Emma do Daur Un 28 Serv when able do do
    John do Son Un 25 Farmers Labour do do

Also in the 1851 census of Middleton on the Hill.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Hi Megan

Thank you for your excellent piece of information, I will certainly look and see if any jail records are still available from Worcestshire....

Many thanks once again for your time and help...

Hi Jacval
    My thanks to you for your time and help also ....

Hi Janet

Thank you once again for your time and effort for me with this information. I will look into what you folks have given me, it is really appreciated...

Kind Regards

Tom

janbooth

Have fun, Tom, and do let us know how you get on.

Janet