Mandie

Default Hughes and Lloyd

Looking for any links to the Hughes and Lloyd families in Flintshire.

Leah Myfanwy Hughes was born 11 Mar 1894 in Rhyl.

Her parents were Joseph Hughes and Harriet Lloyd and they were married 5 Nov 1881 in the Brunswick Chapel (Wesleyan) in St. Asaph. Their children were Margaret, Thomas, Peter Llewelyn, Prudence and Leah.

Joseph Hughes was born c1858 in Prestatyn and died 24 Sep 1895 in Rhyl.
    His father was called Thomas Hughes, and he also had a brother called Peter Hughes.

Harriet Lloyd was c1858 in Rhyl to Peter Lloyd and Elizabeth.
    Peter Lloyd was born c1821 in Halkin? and Elizabeth was born c1821 in Holywell. As well as Harriet they had the following children; John, Prudence, Joseph, Edward and Leah.

Following Joseph Hughes' death Harriet remarried to Edward Jones, and the 1901 census has all the family listed as Jones.

In the front of Leah's bible there is a mention of 'Colomendy' which we think is the name of her mother's guesthouse in Prestatyn. Leah worked as a nurse at Chester Asylum during WW1 where she met her husband, Andrew Parkinson.

The Lloyds also claimed they were related to David Lloyd George, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious connection, so this is probably a family myth.

Wirral

! Colomendy! AARRGGHH! Just the name sends shivers down my spine. It might have been the name of your ancestor's guest house, but for me & 1000s of other Liverpudlians it brings back memories of the Welsh Colditz - Colomendy School for Outdoor Education at Loggerheads, Flintshire. Apparently, since it was opened as a school by Liverpool Education Authority in 1939 about 350,000 of us have had our lives enhanced/blighted by our enforced stay there.

See if you can spot any difference between Colomendy & Stalag XYZ. Bunk beds, cold, scratchy blankets, margarine on cotton-wool bread, rain, rain & more rain!

I think I need to have a lie down!

Mandie

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral
    <snip> See if you can spot any difference between Colomendy & Stalag XYZ. Bunk beds, cold, scratchy blankets, margarine on cotton-wool bread, rain, rain & more rain!

I think I need to have a lie down!
    I can see why you have bad memories about the place, it does look rather ... grim.

Merllene B

Default Hughes / Lloyd Family

Harriet Lloyd is a sister to my ggrandfather, Edward Charles Lloyd, who went to the U.S. shortly before 1880. He joined his sisters, Prudence Lloyd Jones and Mary Lloyd Williams in Iowa. In 1882 Leah Rachel Lloyd also joined her siblings and married Edwin Miller in Iowa. Jospeh H. Lloyd remained in Wales, as did Harriet Lloyd Hughes. (Peter Lloyd was their father and Elizabeth Griffith was their mother.)

Edward Lloyd was married to an Isobel on the 1880 Pennsylvania census with a child, Charles. By 1885 Isobel had apparently died and Edward & Charles were living in Iowa with his sister, Prudence & Richard Jones and their family.

I would like very much to exchange information with anyone interested in this family.

Mandie

Wow, this is great news. I've PM'd you and we can share information from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Merllene B View Post
    Harriet Lloyd is a sister to my ggrandfather, Edward Charles Lloyd, who went to the U.S. shortly before 1880. He joined his sisters, Prudence Lloyd Jones and Mary Lloyd Williams in Iowa. In 1882 Leah Rachel Lloyd also joined her siblings and married Edwin Miller in Iowa. Jospeh H. Lloyd remained in Wales, as did Harriet Lloyd Hughes. (Peter Lloyd was their father and Elizabeth Griffith was their mother.)

Edward Lloyd was married to an Isobel on the 1880 Pennsylvania census with a child, Charles. By 1885 Isobel had apparently died and Edward & Charles were living in Iowa with his sister, Prudence & Richard Jones and their family.

I would like very much to exchange information with anyone interested in this family.