Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default 1921 Census Canada

I have access to the 1921 census for Canada on a couple of genealogical sites. But having trouble finding one particular family. Thomas (born 1866 Manchester) & Alexandra Selina Halliday (born 19 October 1863 London) arrived in Montreal in 1911 with 2 children Hilda (born 1986 Manchester) and Albert (born 1905). The family appear on the 1911 census in England.

I have found Alexandra in several additions of Lovell's Street Directories for Montreal, starting 1921/22 where she appears as Mrs A Halliday, nurse, widow of T, 19a Fourth Avenue Verdun. She appears in more detail from 1927/28 as Mrs Alexandra Halliday, widow of Thomas 360 Rielle Avenue Verdun. So I assume Thomas died sometime 1911-1921. In August 1921 Alexandra (aged 54 widow) & daughter Hilda (age 25) appear on US Boarder Crossing records but as the 1921 Canadian Census was done on the 1 June 1921 I have no reason to believe the family left Canada at the time of the 1921 census. Albert married in 1932 in Montreal and I believe died in Calgary in 1981.

I know Census returns may not show anyone travelling on Census day and there can be transcription errors, Alexandra's sister Adelaide Salloway is transcribed as Lalloway on the 1921 Canadian census. Am I just being unlucky or have I missed Alexandra, Hilda & Albert Halliday entry? As I know an address from Lovell's, 19a Fourth Avenue is it possible to look up an address in the 1921 census?

As ever, grateful for any help or guidance.
    Colin

Hi
    You can enter an address on ancestry. On the search page scroll down to the map. Choose Canada then from thelist on the RH side click o the 1921 census.
    Scroll down the page until you come to the address box.

Findmypast don't seem to have the 1921 Canada census?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina,
    Thank you. I have tried on Ancestry for the 1921 census which requests District Number, Municipality, Street or Township. On Street or Township I have entered variations of 19a Fourth Avenue & Verdun, or alternatively no house number and Verdun or Montreal in Municipality but Fourth Avenue is not returned against any of the names. Am I going wrong or is there anything else I can do to find this property or family on the 1921 Canadian census?
    Thank you.
    Colin

Name well known on Brit-Gen

the address 4th Avenue appears to be on this 1921 return RG 31; Folder Number: 137; Census Place: Verdun (City), Montreal (Ste Anne), Quebec; Page Number: 2

This entry should ensure you reach it
    Annie Allen
    Marital Status: Single
    Birth Year: abt 1883
    Birth Place: Canada
    Relation to Head of House: Servant

Not sure what info you have so there may be duplication

Mrs H 2 children sailed on Albert Halliday
    Departure Date: 29 Jul 1911
    Date of Arrival: 6 Aug 1911
    Vessel: Canada
    Port of Arrival: Quebec, Canada
    Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

The entry reads to join husband cpr detective

U.S., Records of Aliens Pre-Examined in Canada, 1904-1954 for*Alexandra Halliday
    The entry records dated 19 August 1921 gives an address as you shown

Albert married in 1932 in Montreal and I believe died in Calgary in 1981.
    The marriage entry is on line in the Drouin Collection, dated 8 October 1932 indicates father as Thomas HALLIDAY & mother Alexandria PARKINSON ( just realised it is her maiden name)? of Liverpool

Alexander Helliday
    Birth Date: abt 1864
    Port of Departure: Montréal, Québec, Canada
    Arrival Date: 29 Jun 1935
    Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
    Ports of Voyage: Montreal
    Ship Name: Duchess of York
    UK address: 1 Woolton Rd Liverpool 1

Return
    Name: Alexandra Halliday
    Birth Year: abt 1863
    Birth Country: England
    Date of Arrival: 26 Oct 1935
    Vessel: Duchess of York
    Port of Arrival:
    Quebec, Canada
    Port of Departure:
    Liverpool, England

Hi geneius and thank you for all the above results

I did try the address search but even though I know the technicalities of it I didn't have any joy.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Default Thomas HALLIDAY

There are a couple of deaths recorded on familysearch.org

Thomas Holiday death:* Oct. 11, 1917

Halliday, Thomas b. unknown d. Jan. 12, 1921

Thomas Haloday Death:*Jan. 31, 1928

ALL Interred in Mount Royal Cemetery

widow Alexandra was still alive in ( 7 October ) 1938 when she returned form a visit to Canada

googling found this old thread https://www.british-genealogy.com/ar...p/t-40489.html

Hi geneius,
    Thank you very much for your help you have given. I have been able to find 4th Avenue in the census (which I assume is the same as Fourth Avenue in Lovell's?). Is the house number in the column to the left or under Township i.e. 13a 4th Avenue is property number 13a? Either way I could not find Alexandra or the Halliday family in 4th Avenue. I have looked over several pages, 4th Avenue seems to be intersected with other roads such as Melrose & Argyle. Now that you have guided me into the census I will continue to see if I can find Alexandra or the Halliday family elsewhere.

Yes I confirm Parkinson is Alexandra's maiden name.

Thank you for the possible deaths for her husband Thomas, I think he would have died pre-1921.

I assume the cpr reference is Canadian Pacific Railway?

I think Alexandra's husband Thomas arrived a few weeks before her and the 2 children Hilda & Albert. There is a shipping record for a Thomas Halliday arriving in Montreal from Liverpool on 30 April 1911 on the 'Corsican'. Looks like going onwards to a son 1 year (present in Canada 1 year?). This I believe is Thomas Herbert Halliday (born 1888 in Oldham), possibly an electrician. This Thomas, I believe, married Jeanette Glass Riddle Quinn on the 25 February 1914 Montreal.

The link you have given is a previous thread I posted.

Thanks again.
    Colin

# 7
    Thomas arrived a few weeks before her and the 2 children Hilda & Albert.
    As Alexandra's manifest entry states to join husband, the time frame for Thomas is April 1911 ( post census) to 29 July 1911 when his wife sailed. The only UK entry I can see is the 19 April 1911 9n the Corsican.

CPR as a fireman?

Thos Halliday - On Find my Past Passenger lists leaving UK the 'Corsican' departed Liverpool on 19 April 1911 (manifest says 20 April). This gives little detail on Thomas. On Ancestry Canadian Passenger lists the 'Corsican' arrived Montreal 30 April 1911 and gives more detail, onward to son.

Incidentally, on Alexandra's second journey back to Montreal in 1938 it gives last address in the UK as 5 Sidberg Avenue, Old Road Liverpool 10. On the 1939 Register this is the home of William Edward Halliday & wife Ida, William was Thomas & Alexandra's son born 1889, I don't think William ever went to Canada.

Still wondering where house number appears on 1921 Canadian census.

Colin

Corsican seems to be the correct Thomas Halliday

Still wondering where house number appears on 1921 Canadian census.
    I thought I had done well to find a link to the Avenue until I looked at the census I googled the Avenue and came to the conclusion it was a main avenue with lots of sideways where the enumerator would deviate

I googled 4th Avene it comes up as 4e Avenue so presumed it had been renamed / numbered. If google location is correct the family lived at the River end.

You have Mrs H listed in a 'trade directory' 1921/2 can you locate a near neighbour which may assist in the census search?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast