Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Bristol Burial - Gifford

I wonder if someone would be kind enough to lookup a burial for a Nathaniel Gifford. He was living in Bristol when he died, but according to his will he was originally 'of Mangotsfield'. His will was written 12th February 1812 and was proved 8th March 1816. His wife Mary died around 6th December 1828 and there's no sign of her burial either.

Many thanks

You should probably contact the local Council - they tend to administer cemeteries these days (often Dept Parks & Gardens) and should be able to point you in they right direction if they don't. Of course, not everyone had memorial stones back then, but there should be records of who is buried where.

Many thanks for that advice, will check them out

Hi
    Burial year 1810
    Burial date 30 Aug 1810
    Burial place St. Martin, Salisbury, Wiltshire, Eng.

Thank you so much for checking Peanut, but unfortunately the Nathaniel I'm looking for was still alive in 1812, his will was written 12th February of that year and proved 8th March 1816, so his burial would presumably have been around February 1816 for a guess, but it could have been earlier and taken a while to prove.

Surely 1812/1828 would still be a churchyard, before municipal cemeteries?
    Andrew

janbooth

According to the report of her death in the Bristol Mirror dated 8 December 1827, Mrs GIFFORD relict of Nathaniel GIFFORD died on 6 December 1827 in Pritchard Street, aged 85. A cursory Google search shows that Pritchard Street could be within St Paul's, but I am sure someone with a knowledge of the Bristol area would be able to tell you.

Janet

Reputation beyond repute

A cursory Google search shows that Pritchard Street could be within St Paul's,
    It was certainly in the civil parish of St Paul's at the time of the 1841 census

Yes Jan, that's the couple I'm looking for, but no sign of a burial anywhere yet for either of them, which seems very strange. I'd assume they'd have been buried within St Paul's. I've tried all the usual places online but nothing's appearing, so slightly stumped with this one and was hoping some kind person might know what had happened to them

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by babygirl101 View Post
    ...but according to his will he was originally 'of Mangotsfield'. His will was written 12th February 1812 and was proved 8th March 1816...
    Have you checked his will to see if there were any burial instructions/request? Also see if there was a family grave/tomb at Mangotsfield. (Place not known to me)

If you've already checked these my apologies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast