Thread: Craig

Starting to feel at home

Default Craig

I am researching a family whose surname is Craig, who came from Eyemouth. A John Craig married a Mary Jane Swan around 1920. We think his father was a "Bush" Craig. Any help trying find a birth/marriage of these people would really appreciated. I don't have any more info.other than that. Thankyou.

You can very easily find both sets of parents from their marriage certificate. This can be downloaded for a small charge from Scotlands People. See my article about using SP HERE.
    Note that the structure of the site has been updated since I wrote the post and I haven't had a chance to update it (eg you can now see search results free, but copies cost 6 credits), but the information is the same.

This is one of 6 posts I wrote about beginning Scottish genealogy, all of which can be found at the top of the General Scottish forum HERE.. The one on Statutory Records will tell you about the remarakable amount of information to be found on Scottish certificates.

I have had a quick look, and John Craig and Mary Jane Swan married in the parish of St Giles in Edinburgh in 1920.
    Your next stage is to open an account and get that marriage certificate.

There is a public tree on Ancestry that says that John Craig died on 27 April 1963 in Seahouses, Northumberland, aged 75, and that Mary Jane died on 3 April 1956, also at Seahouses, aged 68. The tree would need checking, but it is linked to a 1911 census entry that has John Craig, aged 23, born Eyemouth, living in Hull, with his brother-in-law, Alfred Stephenson (whose wife Barbara Baldwin Stephenson, aged 33, was presumably a Craig as she was born in Eyemouth). There is also an 18 year old Mary Dickinson Craig, aged 18, born Eyemouth)
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids