Settling in

Default Winifred McManus and Margaret Molloy

I have been researching my Great Grandfather, James Henry Molloy, a Pensioner Guard on the convict ship Fairlie in 1852. I noticed on the ship's list there was a child Mary 1.6 years old. From there I ascertained when they embarked on the Fairlie at Woolwich on 18 Feby 1852. There was Corporal James Molloy, Winefred Molloy one of the wives and two children Margaret and Mary Molloy, between the ages of 1 to 14 years. The ship arrived Hobart, 3 or 4 July 1852. I have found no record of them in Tasmania, leaving Tasmania or arriving in another colony. Except for James Molloy who left Hobart on his own in 1853 and was a drill sergeant in Bendigo.

James Molloy married Charlotte Kennett in 1854.

Back to Winifred and Margaret. The 1851 England Census for the Plymouth Citadel lists James Molloy (38), Private 4th Regiment, b. Queens County, Lea; wife Winifred (25), b. East Indies, British Subject; Margaret Molloy, daughter of soldier, 7, b. East Indies, British Subject; Mary, daughter of soldier, under 1 year, b. Devon, Plymouth.

I obtained Mary's birth certificate showing Mary was born 26 Oct 1850 at the Plymouth Citadel to parents James Molloy, Private 4th Regt of Foot and Winifred Molloy, formerly McManus.

I can not find anything to do with Winifred McManus or Molloy. No Margaret Molloy or McManus that may fit the criteria Neither with relationship to James Molloy.

I have searched India records, East Indies records, UK soldier records for periods between 1800 and 1851., for births, death, marriage, or anything that might remotely be of use. I have done this through Ancestry, FindMy Past, FamilySearch and UK National Archives. I am at a loss to know where to go from there. Its seems they appeared in 1850 and disappeared in 1852. The only person I can trace is James Molloy and even in his own accounts he never mentions Winifred, Margaret nor Mary.

I had thought of shipping records from India to England. Are there any around 1849? That was when James Molloy returned to England, medically unfit. Did they travel with him or come separately? His Service records mentions no marriage or wife, or child. There are no pay records that I have come across.

What other records can I search or see if I can obtain copies . I am in Western Australia so hard to do anything but search online.

I would be grateful for any insight of what to do next. Otherwise I must put this into the too hard basket, because I have exhausted all I know.

Thank you

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

First name(s) WINIFRED
    Last name MCMANUS
    Birth year 1830
    Place BOMBAY
    Country INDIA
    Record source GRO Army Chaplains Birth Indices (1796 to 1880)
    Page 234
    Record set British nationals armed forces births 1761-2005
    Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
    Subcategory Births & baptisms
    Collections from Great Britain

Dundee10

I think I may have found a death for Winifred. Some children first:

Frances Winifred LEIGHTON
    Born 17 Mar 1854, Sandy Bay, Tasmania
    Parents Henry William LEIGHTON (Sawyer) & Winifred

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD32-1-3-p689j2k

Frances married in Victoria in 1875 to Henry Whitby MORRIS. Second daughter of William LEIGHTON, Adelaide.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11521644

Thomas LEIGHTON
    Born 1861, Woodend, Victoria
    Parents William LEIGHTON & Winifred McMANUS

In 1872 Thomas was put into the State Ward system for stealing. His records state his father as Henry William LEIGHTON, a Sawyer of 7 Victoria St, North Melbourne in middling circumstances, mother Winifred dead.

Some newspaper items:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197445773
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/138087783

To see his record just put his name in here:

https://beta.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-...tate-1864-1966

Winifred LEIGHTON
    Born 1863, Woodend, Victoria
    Died 1863 aged 7 months

Susan Elizabeth LEIGHTON
    Born 1865, Melbourne, Victoria
    Died 1866, Hotham, aged 1

The news articles mention that Thomas had an older brother and I think that was Henry William born around 1855 (no reg. found), married Mary Ann DAVIES, ended up in WA and died there in 1929. This is just a guess though.

So Winifred died before 1872 and this is the only possible death I can see:

Reg. Number 9553
    Winefred LEIGHTON
    Father's name: William HOGAN
    Mother's name: Unknown
    Place of birth: INDI
    Age 43
    Spouse: William LEIGHTON

The death indexes only give the first four letters of birthplaces. I have no idea who William HOGAN is but it would be worth getting the cert to see what it says. In particular if William was the informant it should have accurate details of her children and whether they were living or deceased, though if he can't remember her maiden surname...... I think there would be more children than I have found.

It is difficult to look for Margaret and Mary not knowing what surname they used and whether they survived to adulthood.

I think that James and Winifred possibly weren't actully married and you have to wonder if Margaret was his child as there is a big gap between her and Mary.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi there, I am new to this site and noticed your post. James Henry Molloy is also my Great grandfather and I am just "picking up" this family tree from where my father left off some 11 years ago, although his work was very thorough and I would say virtually complete up to that time. I notice from his email files he was also communicating with a "surfinnan" . Are you the same person?
    James Henry married Charlotte Alicia Kennett on the 30th May 1854 in Sandhurst, Victoria. It is listed on the marriage certificate his status being "Widower", so obviously Winifred had died, although I do not have any further records of that. James and Charlotte had 8 children, of which Emma, Mary Dora, James Henry, Robert James, Thomas William were born in Victoria, and Frances Rebecca, Charlotte Alicia, and John Patrick were born in NZ. James, Robert and Thomas died at, or soon after birth. James and Charlotte then moved to Fiji, where he served in the Fiji Police for a time. James died in 1894 and Charlotte in 1921. They are both buried in Suva. John Patrick Molloy is my grandfather. His youngest child Patricia was my mother, who married Eric McNae (my father) in Fiji in 1946.

Settling in

Default James Henry Molloy Fiji

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiviti View Post
    I notice from his email files he was also communicating with a "surfinnan" . Are you the same person?
    Yes One and the same. I did not see this post until today.