Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thomas Hunt Broseley or Ireland

Hi.My name is Lawrence and i have only just discovered this website.I've been researching 2 family trees for about 10yrs.I think i am gonna enjoy being part of this community as it will open up a brand new world for me.I have struggled the last 10 years trying to get the info i need from a well known website.I'm trying to find out about a Thomas Hunt born about 1843.He died between 1871 and 1881.I have him on a 1851 census living in Broseley and his birthplace is recorded as Ireland.Can't find him on an 1861 census on my Ancestry website,then he turns up in 1871 married to a Bridget Dowd living in Broseley.His birthplace is recorded as being Broseley.Then on the 1891 census his spouse is a widow.The chances are he was killed in the mines,but I cannot find any death record for him anywhere.If anyone has any info I would be greatfull.Thankyou Lawrence

Ps What is wrong with the Shropshire Bmd website.It has only had marriages on for what seems like years with the message Births and Deaths coming soon

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Lawrence.
    I am sure you are going to get help from our friendly and knowledgeable members who love cracking mysteries.
    I have made your post more high profile by moving it to the Shropshire forum where it should attract amore attention than the Introduce yourself forum which is just for doing that.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

As a base from which to work for those wanting to help
    1851 HO107 Piece 1989 Folio 396 Page 15
    Simpsons Lane Broseley
    John Hunt 50 labourer Mayo, Ireland
    Ann Hunt 50 wife Mayo, Ireland
    Caroline Hunt 18 works at coal pit, Mayo, Ireland
    Richard Hunt 10 Broseley Shropshire
    Thomas Hunt 8 Mayo, Ireland
    Luke Igo 50 Lodger Mayo, Ireland
    Ann Igo 50 Lodger Mayo, Ireland
    Mary Igo 19 Lodger Mayo, Ireland
    Catherine Igo 15 Lodger Mayo, Ireland
    Patrick Igo 14 Lodger Mayo, Ireland
    Michael Igo 12 Lodger Mayo, Ireland
    Bridget Igo 10 Lodger Mayo, Ireland

Thomas may only remember living in Broseley and as his brother was born Broseley he may have assumed he was also. His parents gave this information for the census presumably so is possibly more trustworthy than later ones.
    The Hunt family seem to have taken a trip back to Ireland between Richard and Thomas' births. There is also a big gap between the birth of Caroline in Ireland and Richard in Broseley. I wonder if there are other children.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by sheltie55 View Post
    I'm trying to find out about a Thomas Hunt born about 1843.He died between 1871 and 1881.I have him on a 1851 census living in Broseley and his birthplace is recorded as Ireland. Can't find him on an 1861 census on my Ancestry website, then he turns up in 1871 married to a Bridget Dowd living in Broseley. His birthplace is recorded as being Broseley. Then on the 1891 census his spouse is a widow. The chances are he was killed in the mines,but I cannot find any death record for him anywhere. If anyone has any info I would be greatfull.
    Thomas is not on the 1881 census with Bridget, children and her mother Mary Dowd but Bridget is recorded as married, Occupation - Miners Wife not as a widow so the search for Thomas' death may have to be widened. There is also the possibility that they were separated and Bridget called herself a widow in 1891 to maintain respectability.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thankyou Christina for your warm welcome and your help

Reputation beyond repute

The GRO index lists James, Mary Ann and Thomas HUNT (mother's maiden name DOUD) registered in Madeley.

Catherine's birth should have been between that of James and Mary Ann. It may not have been registered but you may feel that the balance of probabilities is that she was born in the same place

Sometimes we have to make do with siblings' birth certificates.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    The GRO index lists James, Mary Ann and Thomas HUNT (mother's maiden name DOUD) registered in Madeley.

Catherine's birth should have been between that of James and Mary Ann. It may not have been registered but you may feel that the balance of probabilities is that she was born in the same place

Sometimes we have to make do with siblings' birth certificates.
    Another post referring to Catherine's birth here
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...984-All-Saints.

Christina
    William Burroughs

by sheltie55: Then on the 1891 census his spouse is a widow.
    Can you give us the Piece, folio and Page numbers for this census because I am having trouble finding it,
    William Burroughs