Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    soden55

Hi Tracy,
    Have found a tiny bit more info with the death certificates of Thomas and Michael.
    Thomas Cuneen died 1932 in an old peoples home in Awapuni aged 81. There are no parents listed and it also says he was born in Ireland and was in NZ for 62 years. Also no listing of a wife or children. Buried in Kelvin Grove. The details for registration were supplied in writing by the undertaker.
    If Thomas never married, and had no children, then these details would be a good fit with nobody to give more accurate information. There does not seem to be a good fit for any marriage in the bdm's. So another dead end.

Michael Cuneen died in 1958 in hospital in Upper Hutt aged 94. Parents are John Cuneen and Mary Ryan, he was born in Guernsey and he lived in NZ for 84 years. Married to Winifred Wilkinson and survived by 1 male child aged 61.
    Found the marriage in BDM's in 1896 and they had 2 children John Edward 1897 and William Michael 1899. Think William died 1899. Then things get confused (again) as John Edward puts his age up by 2 years to join the Army in WW1. His record says his father born Guernsey and mother born Ranpiora ?NZ so that's right so far but lists his next of kin as J.A. Cuneen his brother in Waipapa Fordhill Hawkes Bay. Can't find this brother. Any way he marries Gladys Myrtle Fuller and comes back from war.
    Michael died 1958, John Edward d1967 and Gladys 1989 and possibly John Edwards son Edward Michael who died in 1975 and they are all in the Akatarawa Cemetery.
    Not sure how to track down any more recent people.
    Which still leaves the other mystery of Daniel, John and Edward.
    Nothing simple about this family

Cheers

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi

Thanks for the info. I also have the death certificates of Thomas and Michael (and his wife Winifred). I think they are a fit also.

I don't know how John and Edward fit. Unless they are they missing Daniel and Timothy? I have heard a rumour there was a family feud and they dropped one of the "n"'s in Cunneen to Cuneen. Perhaps these two changed their first names as well although that would make them older that they are on their death certificates. If you look in the website Papers Past is seems they were always visiting the courts so they must have been a couple of naughty rogues!

In 1896 John Cuneen was a jockey based in Greenmeadows, Napier. Perhaps on the Army record of John Edward is was his Uncle not his brother. They may have lied about his next of kin and his age to get him into the Army?

I have the birth certificate of William Michael Cuneen Born 1898 if you want a copy. I could email it to you. He was born in Napier. I could also send John's and Edwards if you wanted to look at them as well.

They are definately a mystery that's for sure!!

Regards
    Tracy

Delwyn

Hi,

I've just read through this thread and had a couple of thoughts.
    First, it is possible the three youngest children Daniel (1862), Margaret (1868) and Timothy/Tom (1870) may have used their step father's name of Marshall.
    Second, would the family be Catholic? If so they would probably be in the Catholic school system rather than the NZ public school records. If they were in the public schools they could be traced with relative ease. The Catholic schools are much harder to access.
    Happy hunting,
    Delwyn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123