Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    soden55

Hello Dale and Christine,

I chased up the Cuneens you found in Papers Past but with no luck.

The Lower North Island horse trainer was Edward Cuneen who died in 1902 and whose parents were John and Mary. His death certificate said he was born in Greytown, where as mine were all born in Guernsey, the Channel Islands, but there was no Edward in my family and I don't see why he would change his name.
    His brother John had the same details on his death in1915 (born in Greytown) and it was his wife Agnes Simpson and their children who were supposed to get the benefit of the relief fund and she ended up leaving town when the funds never appeared.

The other family in Ashburton were the children of Patrick Cunneen who came from Ireland and married Mary O'Grady in 1861 and they had about 12 children from 1862 to 1885 and seems they were sheep farmers and had dogs in sheep trials and such.

I liked the bit on the Woodward and Cunneen in business together but found no other reference to them in the papers.

And still no more info on Margaret and her mysterious girl child. I am not sure if Papers Past go up to 1947 but did not find anything for her death apart from the cemetery records that she was cremated and in Waikumete Auckland. She is in the electoral records under Maggie Cuneen a spinster in 1900 to 1911 in Wellington then from 1919 to 1935 with husband William Hook in Lower Hutt then after he died she is back in 1942 and 1947 in Marion St, Wellington. I was hoping that an obituary notice may make mention of her daughter.

As for Margaret's brothers, I will chase up the Thomas who died in 1932, I guess 3 years is not that much to be out. And if this one is no good, then it would seem that the older ones may have left NZ. But to date I have found no good prospects in Australia.
    Thomas was 17 when the family went to NZ, and the youngest William was only 1 year old, then William died in 1876, and then their mother died in 1877 so Thomas was about 20 but there was Margaret about 10 years and Timothy about 7 to look after unless their new step father Edwin Marshall looked after them.

Thank you for all your info, has helped me whittle down the possibilities.

Cheers

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Just seen this thread for Cunneens. Have you thought about the name variations of the surname.

EG. Cunnane, Cunniane.

The reason I say this, is the fact that there are familes of these surnames, living in, and around the Area of Tulsk, in County Roscommon. One family uses Cunnane, and their 1st cousins use Cunniane. Spoken as 'Cunyarn'.

I know this for a fact, as I live in their Townland.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

soden55

Hi Steve,

I had tried a lot of variations to this name, but must admit not with an e on the end. Will try further searches.

As Mary's remarriage was under Cueneen and her daughter Margaret was under Cannian I had tried most spellings with no luck. You cannot use any wild card varients in the NZ BDM's but I do use these when searching other records such as FMP and Ancestry etc.

All the documents I have for this family give me no clue as to where in Ireland they came from, and as I have found only 3 of the 7 children and they all dry up, I have hit brick walls both forward and backwards for this family.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I see a Cunniane, maybe once or twice a week, I'll aske if he knows the origins of Cunnane and variations.

I have this documant that I have scanned, regarding the Cunnane origins. It seems to be Roscommon, andEastern Sligo historically, and in medieval times would have been O'Connor.

I'll try and attach this Family Name History(Historical Research Centre) to this reply. If not, PM me your email address, and I'll send it tp you. It maybe of interest, if nothing else.

Steve.
    undefined

Here it is.

soden55

I am awaiting the death cert for Thomas Cuneen, and fingers crossed it leads somewhere other than a brick wall.

Is there someone in NZ who may be able to look up the possible obituary for Margaret Hook aka Cuneen who died 29 March 1947, as Papers Past do not go up to that year, or perhaps be able to check out her resting place at Waikumete Cemetery, Auckland, Margaret was cremated 31-3-1947 niche B 536 Columb, for any hint about her daughter who was aged 54 at the time of Margaret's death. Another long shot.
    Thanks

soden55

A small bit of hope.......but not much in this saga.....
    The death certificate for Thomas Cuneen who died in 1932 (thanks christanel) and is in Kelvin Grove looks like one of them. But there is scant info contained on the record possibly as he died in an old folks home aged 81. Born in Ireland and spent 62 years in NZ, so that makes him a reasonable fit with the immigration records of Thomas who was 17 when he arrived in 1875. No parents names listed nor spouse or children. Either no one knew details or he had not married.

Does anybody know if you are able to get any information from the cemetery, such as next of kin, as the record is 85 years old, or do they not divulge information, or do they even have that sort of information in records ???? Nothing in Trove about him.

The John and Agnes Cuneen whom daleaway found via the fundraisers are not part of this family. But it was an interesting story about them and the missing money. Sad for the widow.
    Also the Cunneens of Broadfields are another family. Patrick Cunneen went to NZ in 1859 married Margaret Ogrady and they had 12 children, George, John, William, Harriet, Elizabeth, another Elizabeth, Michael, Patrick, Margaret, Thomas, Harold and Edward.

Still no idea on how to find more on Margaret who died in Auckland in 1947. Her death cert lists her as Margaret Hook aka Cuneen aged 75. She first married in Wellington aged 17 to Henry Woodward with issue of 1 female child who was aged 54 in 1947. Her 2nd marriage was to William Hook at the age of 42 and no issue. I could find the 2nd marriage in the BDM's under Cannian, husband William then died in 1937. And there the trail stops dead. I cannot find records of Margaret's first marriage or the birth of a female child under any of the names of Cuneen or variations, Woodward or Hook.
    Thank you for all your ideas and help.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Cuneen Family

Hi

I have been watching your posts that you have done this year with interest. I am also researching the Cuneen Family that lived in Wellington.

Information I have from a deceased relative is that John Cuneen was born in Ireland around 1871-1874 and later moved to Guernsey. He had a brother Michael (a horse trainer who is buried at Trentham, Wellington), a brother Edward (jockey who is buried in Gisborne) and a sister Margaret (nothing much known about her other than she married a businessman who owned a shop in Auckland). However his death certificate says he lived in Greytown all his life and the same for his brother Edward. I cannot find any birth details for them in NZ at all which suggest they were born overseas.

The only immigration to NZ I could find was the same as yours (The Berar) which has a lot more brothers and sisters listed on it and John Cuneen and Edward Cuneen not mentioned on the manifest. I came to the same conclusion that this was a different family but it is weird they have the same parents names.

On their death certificates their father is John Cuneen and mother Mary Cuneen (nee Ryan). A very strange coincidence isn't it.

I may have solved your question though about Margaret Hook. You say her first marriage was to a Henry Woodward. There was a Margaret Florrie Woodward born in 1889 with the same parents name. This is on the NZ Birth registry site.

Regards
    Tracy

soden55

Hi Tracy,

Sorry to disappoint but Margaret Florrie Woodward died aged 11 months old in 1890. NZ deaths 1890/2249
    On Margaret Hook's death certificate it stated she had issue of 1 female child, who was 50 something years old when Margaret died sorry but I can't give you the exact age now as I do not have the printout with me.
    Perhaps the 1st marriage never took place and was a made up story to cover being an unwed mother, because the details on her death cert about her first marriage seem not match the BDM records.

I found the same problem with John the horse trainer and Edward Cuneen the jockey and that is apart from their deaths in NZ I cannot find any records of them coming out to NZ from Guernsey or in the 2 census records 1861 and 1871 for the Cunneen family in Guernsey.
    I don't remember if there was a 1851 census record for Guernsey on line or the family were not there in Guernsey and am still tying to find out if John and Mary married in Ireland and then went to Guernsey or married in Guernsey.

The only 2 children unaccounted for (for me) that came out with their mother Mary in 1875 are Daniel born c 1863 and Timothy (Tom) born c 1870. There were 2 Johns born in Guernsey in 1857 and 1866 to this family, but am sure both of them died over in Guernsey. Seriously, would they have changed their names, from Tim (Tom on the shipping records) to John and Daniel to Edward ??? Guess anything is possible.

John the horse trainer was not old when he married, so you would think the info on his wedding cert would be right, perhaps their death info less so but still??? They say they were born in Greytown NZ. Very strange indeed, that they had the same named parents and yet as you say there are no birth records for them in NZ and have yet to find shipping records for them, or if they came over when very young (might explain) why they didn't know they were born overseas, but what became of their parents.

So are you related to John the horse trainer or Edward the jockey.

Regards

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am related to John the horse trainer. I also have his marriage certificate from 1900 when he married Agnes Simpson and it is the same information. Birthplace Greytown. Father John Cuneen, Mother Mary Ryan. It's very bizarre isn't it.

I don't think they would have changed their names surely and the birth dates don't match for Daniel and Timothy with theirs. As you say they may have been very young and just thought they were born in NZ.

I guess we just keep on searching!

Cheers
    Tracy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast