HGS46

Default Cocks/Cox Family

Maritime records state that my gt gt grandfather Richard Cox was born 24 May 1807 at Southampton. His death records (1860) noted his parents as Richard Cox and Isobel Green. I know that these records are not always accurate. The only likely birth I've found is a Richard Cocks born 24 May 1807 at Boldre, Hampshire but his parents are Thomas and Lucy Cocks. Could this be him? Thomas Cocks and Lucy Green were married on 12 October 1806 at Beaulieu, Hampshire. They also had a son named Thomas Cox baptized Boldre, Hampshire on 6 May 1810, a daughter Sarah Coxe baptized 21 Dec. 1816 at Boldre, Hampshire, and another daughter Eliza Cox baptized 7 August 1814 at Boldre, near Lymington, Hampshire. I'm looking for matching trees.

Hi
    There is a public tree on ancestry which has the Richard Cocks son of Richard Cocks and Lucy Green. Richard jnr was Baptised on
    24 May 1807 (not born) No other information.
    Do your Richard's records state his Birth as 24 May or his baptism?

Your Richard married Margaret Coutts and was a seaman? If so the 1850 record I saw gives the year of birth but not the day/month

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

HGS46

Default Cocks/Cox Family

My apologies .. Richard Cocks (Cox) was baptised on 24 May 1807 at Boldre as I found in a voluntary website. I do have the same date (of birth) for my ancestor which I found in maritime records sent to me by National Archives some years back. His place of birth was Southampton and I looked for it for a long time before realising that Southampton had been the name for Hampshire. He went to sea aged 9, married Margaret Coutts 13 Jun 1832 in Aberdeen, Scotland, became a Master (MS) and died in Aberdeen 12 Nov 1860. My notes taken from the Maritime Records state "MASTER’S CLAIM FOR CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE: Granted Master’s Certificate on 24th December 1850: No. 36,406 : Richard Cox - born at Southampton, County of Hants, in 1807. Has been employed in the Capacity of Master 7 years in the British Merchant Service in the Coasting and Foreign Trade. (Cert No. 71679 is his renewal when he lost his first certificate and holds his certificate of service with an extra note verifying that R Cox did in fact lose his certificate and has been authorised to receive a new one. There is an application form but no vessels are given on this one as none were required to be written down.)

Port of Aberdeen : 21st day of October 1850
    Richard Cox : Born in Southampton: 24th May 1807 - Age 43

I realise that none of this proves that the two Richards are the same person, but it does look hopeful.